• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

if you are craving chocolate right now, read this.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted September 16 2016 - 5:49 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I was screwing around in the kitchen today, I developed a "chocolate syrup" of sorts... No, this isn't your 10$ bottle of hershey's syrup, it's even better. If you have ever been to botacon (a pretty nice restaurant), if my memory is correct they had this chocolate dip a donuts that was super good, Anyway, here's how I made it:

1 cup cocoa powder (measure loosely, unpacked)

2c sugar
1/4t vanilla
1/8t salt (one pinch)
1c milk

Add everything to a pot and dissolve sugar and cocoa on medium low (3-ish) and constantly stir until dissolved.

Get to a boil for 3 minutes and whisk frequently to prevent the sugar from caramelizing or burning.

Sit in fridge for 30 minutes ish, skim the milk stuff off the top.

I noticed that the syrup boiled over quickly, and I had to constantly take it off and on the burner. If you notice its rising quickly and close overboiling, take it over to the sink quickly. I had an overboil, and that wasn't fun, especially with chocolate syrup. Make sure the get around the edges of the pan with the whisk to prevent the sugar from burning on the sides.

Dip a pretzel or donut in this, maybe make chocolate milk or hot cocoa. Put it on some ice cream, what ever is it its great :)

• Foogoo and Vendayn like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 16 2016 - 6:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Is this a ants or cooking forum? lol

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted September 16 2016 - 7:08 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Well, it is offtopic :P

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted September 18 2016 - 3:52 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

bump

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 18 2016 - 4:17 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

This sounds good :D I hope more people put recipes here. :) Better than political/religious discussions, and it benefits everyone.

I have something too. I call it...well...Chocolate Good stuff (replace "stuff" with something from in a toilet :P). Though I didn't put how much of each ingredient, since I mostly just guess the amount with what looks good. So its a bit different each time for me, but always good :)

Vanilla (not too much, otherwise its too strong)

bit of salt (just a pinch)

Spoon of coffee grounds

honey (I kinda improvise on this one since its always different, but usually its a half to one spoon of honey)

milk

chocolate powder (preferably milk chocolate)

sugar (I put 1-3 spoons)

vanilla whey protein (1-2 spoons)

It makes a very delicious dessert that is sorta healthy. The only thing that changes a lot is the amount of milk, since too much kinda ruins it and too little kinda ruins it too. Plus every cup size is different, so it depends what I'm using.

Edited by Vendayn, September 18 2016 - 4:22 PM.

• Kevin likes this

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 18 2016 - 4:19 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

And here is one I found on facebook ages back. Its a chocolate margarita. I didn't make it yet, but it sure looked and sounded good. Definitely for adults :P

Cocoa dust on rim

Chocolate syrup (probably can just do the recipe that Kevin provided)

vanilla icecream

Tequila

chocolate liqueur

Kahlua

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted September 18 2016 - 4:53 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Don't think I can make that last one, lol. Do you boil the mixture for the first one or stir it up into a paste? Approximately how much milk? How thick should it be?

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 18 2016 - 6:04 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Don't think I can make that last one, lol. Do you boil the mixture for the first one or stir it up into a paste? Approximately how much milk? How thick should it be?

You could I guess, I just stir it up into a paste. Since I'm lazy :P And I try to aim for a milkshake-like consistency.

#9 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 19 2016 - 8:51 AM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Thank you for the info, I will definitely be making some soon for donuts and ice cream

Edited by spider_creations, September 19 2016 - 8:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users