• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lynnwood, Washington. USA. 9-16-16 (Queen)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 16 2016 - 5:40 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

1. Drowning in my cats water outside my door.  Lynnwood, Washington. USA.

2. 9-16-16  Date of collection
3. Cat water… lol I don’t know

4. 7mm Length
5. Orangeish-brown Coloration.  Shiny.
6. one petiole, wings, 11 antennal segments.
7. Flexible hehe.  She was just trying to dry herself off.   I hope she survives the almost drowning event!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/shareallicu/Side%20tummy.jpg

Thanks a LOT!! :D

Here are some closeups on her head.  I hope these are clear enough to see her enough to identify.

Edited by Shareallicu, September 17 2016 - 8:12 AM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 16 2016 - 8:40 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
It looks like lasius neoniger or pallitarsis.A shot of mandibles would be needed though
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 16 2016 - 8:43 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius sp. Would it be possible to get pictures of the antennal scapes and the teeth from the front of the mandibles? Do you know if any noise reduction has been applied to the photo, which might have reduced the detail? The number of teeth on the mandibles and their location would tell Lasius neoniger (7) and Lasius pallitarsis (6, with #7 moved far up the mandibles) apart. If there are no standing hairs on the scapes, then Lasius crypticus.

• James C. Trager likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 16 2016 - 10:09 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Lasius sp. Would it be possible to get pictures of the antennal scapes and the teeth from the front of the mandibles? Do you know if any noise reduction has been applied to the photo, which might have reduced the detail? The number of teeth on the mandibles and their location would tell Lasius neoniger (7) and Lasius pallitarsis (6, with #7 moved far up the mandibles) apart. If there are no standing hairs on the scapes, then Lasius crypticus.

Okay cool ty.  I will try to get better pictures.  I don't think there is a filter on, but I will mess around with it... it's just a phone camera hehe

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 17 2016 - 5:31 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Okay cool ty.  I will try to get better pictures.  I don't think there is a filter on, but I will mess around with it... it's just a phone camera hehe

So it's probably Lasius crypticus right?

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 17 2016 - 9:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm inclined to say so. Lasius can be tricky, but I can't see any erect hairs on the scapes, try as I might. She is definitely not Lasius neoniger, at least. NIce work! It's often hard enough to capture Lasius features with an SLR.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 17 2016 - 9:54 PM.

• James C. Trager likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 17 2016 - 10:11 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'm inclined to say so. Lasius can be tricky, but I can't see any erect hairs on the scapes, try as I might. She is definitely not Lasius neoniger, at least. NIce work! It's often hard enough to capture Lasius features with an SLR.

Cool thanks a lot!  She actually had her wings stuck to the wet cotton, so I figured that was a good time to get a picture  :D   She seems to be the Jerry Lewis of ants... always getting stuck in the cotton, or under the piece of wood I put in with her.. I am wondering if she even managed to mate before plunging into the cat water bowl hehe!   

#8 Offline James C. Trager - Posted September 20 2016 - 3:25 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

This looks like Lasius pallitarsis to me, based on the array of the mandibular teeth, size, and relative wing length, but as has been said before, Lasius is tricky. In addition, I don't think L. crypticus is likely from your coastal location.
The main issue with your photographs is the lighting. Bright, full spectrum, but diffuse (as in a high, thin overcast or thin fog) yields the best images with the most natural colors. 

• drtrmiller, Batspiderfish and Canadian anter like this

#9 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 20 2016 - 8:07 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

This looks like Lasius pallitarsis to me, based on the array of the mandibular teeth, size, and relative wing length, but as has been said before, Lasius is tricky. In addition, I don't think L. crypticus is likely from your coastal location.
The main issue with your photographs is the lighting. Bright, full spectrum, but diffuse (as in a high, thin overcast or thin fog) yields the best images with the most natural colors. 

Okay thanks!  I took the pictures inside so maybe that is why they are so dark :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users