• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I got some devil ants, in need of help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted September 12 2016 - 10:12 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Hey people, I have a lasius niger colony of about a 100 workers and the queen. These ants are just terrible. They are actually making me mad. I have their test tube inside a foraging area. One minute they have all themselves inside the tube, I come back an hour later the queen and all her workers have moved themselves and the larvae and puape into the foraging area corner. This isn't the first trouble they have given me. None of my other colonies have ever done what they are doing?  Suggestions?

• ctantkeeper likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2016 - 10:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

They're not really doing anything wrong, only going where they are comfortable. Do you think there could be anything wrong with the tube? does it smell or anything?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 12 2016 - 10:47 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

just changed it about 2 weeks ago?

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted September 12 2016 - 11:20 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Did you rinse it with water, test tubes straight from the factory may have a release agent on them

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted September 12 2016 - 11:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

yep, used boiling water out of the microwave

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 12 2016 - 11:55 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Please upload two photos; one of the nest up close, and one wide shot of the environment in the room, showing any lights and other gadgets in close proximity to your setup.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 12 2016 - 12:04 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
If you are really worried about the brood drying out,mist the out world

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted September 13 2016 - 5:41 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
For starters, I would provide them with an additioal test tube to move into just in case.

If I were you, it wouldn't bother me so long as I know that they have a perfectly good test tube setup available if they need it. Remember, the reason why formicariums are supposed to have a humidity and heat gradient is so that the ants can pick what's best for the health of the colony. That's what your ants are doing and for whatever reason, they think that the optimal location is outside the tube, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've seen my lasius colonies do the same with their pupae quite a few times.
  • Batspiderfish and T.C. like this
~Dan

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted September 13 2016 - 8:45 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

ok, thanks for the help... Truly appreciated

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted September 13 2016 - 8:50 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Please upload two photos; one of the nest up close, and one wide shot of the environment in the room, showing any lights and other gadgets in close proximity to your setup.

Here is a pic of the tube, i used a light to force them back in to the dark tube and unattached it to the foraging area. I am now having a rise in deaths?

http://s44.photobuck...c3.jpg.html?o=3

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 13 2016 - 11:58 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

These look like Formica, for starters.There really wasn't much reason to force them into the tube -- this is likely related to the die-off. I trust that they also have access to fresh sugary liquid and insect protein? Make up a new tube for them just in case there is something wrong with the old tube that you can't detect. Put it in the outworld with them and leave them alone. If they were captured from the wild, that might be another cause for these deaths.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 14 2016 - 12:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I didn't see any hydration or drinking water. Dehydration is the most likely cause of acute deaths while in captivity, absent any toxins, which I see no reason to suspect.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2016 - 5:13 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

the tube that u see came off of a Marshmallow shooter... lol :P  So it is super large. I couldn't get the whole thing in the pic however to the left is the water blocked off with cotton

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2016 - 5:25 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

I put them into a jar with dirt. half of them scurried out in the process, but the queen was fine. I however believe I will let them go here soon. i have too many colonies as it is. Especially since I caught several more queens today!

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2016 - 6:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

UPDATE: Queen died, i think possibly parasites or something was the cause of all previous ant deaths, turned the whole colony loose out side where they have just move under a nearby rock. The wierd part of all this was the queen i found dead  on the cement floor where I must have stepped on her. I could of sware she was in the dirt jar when i closed it.

Learnt alot though. Even though I have kept plenty of other successful ant colonies you can never know everything I guess!

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 14 2016 - 8:40 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Sorry, but it sounds like this colony took a lot of abuse. They look like they were captured from the wild, you didn't know what species they were (Formica are very sensitive ants), they had a very tiny outworld, they were forced to move from place to place with light, then thrown into a jar,all while they were already experiencing a die-off. That's way too much stress for a colony. You need to be way more patient and gentle.

• sgheaton likes this

----

#17 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2016 - 9:21 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
(Content removed by author)

Reason: Ignorance

Edited by T.C., September 13 2017 - 9:48 PM.

#18 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 15 2016 - 5:40 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius niger is only really found in the Rocky Mountains, so whatever you have is probably not Lasius niger. Like I said, they look like Formica in the picture. I made a lot of assumptions based on what I saw and the way they were described -- I'm glad you managed to raise them from a queen, and also sorry, as getting a colony of this size would require that kind of patience (and a little love). The reasons for them going into decline are probably the same, though, especially if they are Formica.

If I am somehow mistaken, and they are Lasius (they would probably be Laius alienus, in this case), you could  remember in the future that social parasite Lasius species specialize in using/making orphaned colonies.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 15 2016 - 5:53 AM.

----

#19 Offline T.C. - Posted September 15 2016 - 6:13 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
(Content removed by author)

Reason: Ignorance

Edited by T.C., September 13 2017 - 9:51 PM.

#20 Offline T.C. - Posted November 29 2016 - 9:13 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

This post bugs me a lot, so that's why I am bringing it back up. I was quite an amateur to ant keeping when I made this post, so I just want to make it clear I am aware the species was formica, not lasius niger like batspiderfish said and like alot of you probably new. Also The colony was handled pretty roughly. :ugone2far:  Just wanted to say that I was wrong and like I said I was quite the amatuer at the time. But I have learnt alot in the past 3 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users