• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermy's Formica sp. Journal 2016

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted August 24 2016 - 9:06 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Formica had a flight about a week ago here [a small flight or I missed most of it] and I caught a few queens, worried that I might not get a Colony [I really Really want one!] I decided to just brood boost 1 queen, and now 3 days after brood boosting she has "her" first worker with about 15-20 on the way :D I will post a video of the colony when I finally get my youtube fixed.....

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 25 2016 - 10:41 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
What sp?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline dermy - Posted August 25 2016 - 10:51 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm not 100% sure but if I had to guess I'd say it's in the fusca Group.

#4 Offline dermy - Posted August 25 2016 - 1:16 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here is the video, not even worth trying to "ID" anything from it, just a simple video showing the new worker.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted August 27 2016 - 1:35 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

The queen died :|

#6 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 7 2016 - 5:46 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

The queen died :|

I'm sorry to hear that.  I caught a Formica Podzilica (or something like that) and she died too :(   A neighbor found another formica for me (argentea or something) so I am hoping she makes a nice colony!

#7 Offline dermy - Posted September 7 2016 - 10:46 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I put in a new Queen, and they seem to be getting on fine, it's okay to put in a replacement queen when the workers are very young, since they don't yet have a Colony scent. I'll try to get an update here soon, it's almost hibernation time for some of my ants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users