• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheryl's Formica Argentea First Colony!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 9 2016 - 11:37 AM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Well I am excited!  I watched my queen ant (Formica Argentea) lay an egg last night just before midnight!  I had a bad experience a few days ago, so I was worried.

I found My First queen ever on August 19, 2016.  I had her ID’d here on this site, and was told she was a Formica Podzilica.  I named her Queen Amidala and I learned how to set up the test tube and put her in it.  I “ignored” her for 3 days (as recommended by others) but when I checked on her 3 days later, she was dead. :o

It probably depressed me more than it should have but I always wanted a queen, and the first one I found died after only 3 days.  I don’t know if it was because of something I did or didn’t do. 

I was now desperate to find another, but couldn’t find one.  So I asked my neighbors online if they find a queen to let me adopt it! I knew it was a long shot.

A neighbor named Kevan found one that we both agreed looked like a queen, so we also had her ID’d on this website.  It was confirmed that she was a queen!  She is a Formica Argentea! 

I didn’t want to give her the title of Queen until she earned it this time.  Queen Amidala probably felt she didn’t have to earn it, because she was named queen from the beginning.  (I’m being goofy here don’t worry :lol: ).   So I named this ant Princess Leia!  She has to earn the title of queen by having a colony!

Princess Leia was found on September 5 under a plaster rock.  I am trying to keep her photophobic because I heard that it’s easier to move colonies if they can be moved by putting light on them.  Even if her colony isn’t photophobic, I would like the queen to be.  So I watch her with a red light on.   Last night I was watching her, worrying about her. 

Did queen Amidala die because the cotton blocked off too much air? 

Did she want dirt, or less moisture? 

Maybe she wanted more moisture?! 

All these things going through my mind, and my fears were made worse because Princess Leia also appeared somewhat distressed.   I ended up giving her some dirt hoping it would simulate her chosen natural colony better:  She was found under a rock in dirt.

On top of this worry I put her in a plastic test tube (I ordered glass ones in the mail) which is not very clear (or I would have pictures).  I can’t see her clearly but I saw that she looked stressed about something.

At the peak of my worry, trying to find a better lid (other than cotton) so she could breath, I saw her tense up, and raise her gaster in the air.   I then saw something coming out of the tip of her gaster!  I shined a small flashlight on her fearing the worst (SHE HAS PARASITES!?) lol .  After the Queen Amidala experience, I was paranoid of Leia’s death too.

But with the small flashlight on her, I saw that the object was an egg!!!!  I was super Thrilled!  :yahoo:  Hehe  My first egg (that I saw)!  No one in my family understands why I am celebrating and excited and thrilled, but I figured everyone here would understand! 

She started to clean herself  right after the “birth” (is there a more appropriate word?) and then she attended to the egg.  I left the cotton in place, for lack of anything else, and because she seems okay, and closed it up for the night in a box (loosly obviously :D ).  I plan to check on her every night with the red light! 

I’m very excited!  I have never seen an ant lay an egg in real life before!   It’s amazing! :D

I plan to post pictures when I get her into a glass test tube.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline benjiwuf - Posted September 9 2016 - 12:17 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
I'm loving the star wars theme here lol. The standard test tube with cotton should provide enough air flow for a small colony so don't worry about that too much. I would leave her in the plastic test tube now though. Formica tend to be easily moved especially with workers, but can get stressed very easily. The first queen can be quite exciting, just remember to always stay calm (difficult as it may be). Your queen that died probably had nothing to do with what you did or didn't do.
  • ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 9 2016 - 12:38 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

queen deaths just happens sometimes, for reasons you probably couldn't of helped :(

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 9 2016 - 1:06 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'm loving the star wars theme here lol. The standard test tube with cotton should provide enough air flow for a small colony so don't worry about that too much. I would leave her in the plastic test tube now though. Formica tend to be easily moved especially with workers, but can get stressed very easily. The first queen can be quite exciting, just remember to always stay calm (difficult as it may be). Your queen that died probably had nothing to do with what you did or didn't do.

I didn't intend for a star wars theme, but both names seemed to fit them perfectly hehe! 

Okay, I would rather not see them clearly for a while, (and leave her alone), than to take a chance at disturbing her and her egg laying, so thanks!  I will move them later on down the road!

You're right, staying calm is difficult!  I am constantly thinking about her, and being tempted to watch her!   But Once a night is the most I have allowed myself to check on her...

Thanks!

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 9 2016 - 1:08 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

queen deaths just happens sometimes, for reasons you probably couldn't of helped :(

Thanks, I have been watching/reading about experts (here and on youtube) who keep ants and they have deaths too, but hearing that it wasn't necessarily my fault is comforting!

#6 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 11 2016 - 7:44 AM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Well I can't find any of Princess Leia's eggs!!  I put some wood in with her, maybe she will feel more comfortable.  Is she eating them or hiding the eggs?  Perhaps she is hungry?  what should I feed her.  I heard cooked chicken is fine, is it? Thanks!

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 20 2016 - 8:13 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I have not looked at her so I don't know if she is even alive.... I think I will check on her quietly tonight. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users