• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

European ants close to hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreCool55 - Posted September 7 2016 - 10:38 AM

AntsAreCool55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello guys,I have a question for European ant keepers. Are your ants already slowing down for hibernation? I live in Southern Europe (Croatia) and my ants have already began sealing themselves off from the outworld,and almost not foraging anymore. I am talking about Lasius and Camponotus ants. My Tetramorium colony is still active,but has also slowed down a bit. Messors are being heated so they are still active.

The weird thing is that outside temperatures are not low at all. It has been around 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees F) for the most time,with some colder days.

I keep my non exotic ants at room temperature.

I usually noticed this behaviour much later in the year,never this early.

There is one Lasius niger colony that has complitely sealed themselves off and are not foraging at all. However,their gasters are swollen from the honey they have been eating few weeks ago.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

#2 Offline AntsMAN - Posted September 7 2016 - 10:49 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I am in Canada, but I am seeing the same behavior. I think they are going early because of the weird weather.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#3 Offline benjiwuf - Posted September 7 2016 - 11:13 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
In Germany my ants caught this year are still working tirelessly on brood raising and extreme foraging. My species are locally caught Lasius and Formica. My Tetramorium are also raising brood and eggs. So no slow down for mine yet.

#4 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted September 8 2016 - 9:56 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
In the UK the day time temperatures are still around 24c but it is cooling down at night significantly. All my Lasius species are still active with brood but my Formica species have stopped laying eggs. I also have Camponotus ligniperdus not native to England but can cope with cool temps, they still have a clutch of eggs/brood but all have moved to a narrow tube in the nest.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users