• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex versicolor Instagram journal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2016 - 7:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not sure if this guy ever made an account here, but he apparently bought my best Acromyrmex colony. This journal's better than mine. :lol: Check it out.

https://www.instagram.com/my.ants/

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 20 2016 - 10:16 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

interesting but doesn't really show the setup from what I could see.  He mention hybrid nest so I don't know if its an ants Canada nest or not.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2016 - 10:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They started out in an AntsCanada Hybrid nest and eventually he added on a 16-chamber nest that I made. Did you look at all the pictures?

14063472_476495892545728_1884584309_n.jp

#4 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 20 2016 - 11:10 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
He has a cool instagram, I heard he got his colony from you. I saw him fetured on the ants canda instagram

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2016 - 11:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah I sold him the colony. I'm waiting to see if they start to build fungus in the second level. I wasn't sure if it will be humid enough for them.

#6 Offline Tpro4 - Posted September 21 2016 - 5:51 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
holy cow, i can't even get my queens past nanitics anymore, And then this guy has a huge colony
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 21 2016 - 5:55 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Like.....he's got FUNGUS...stalagmites of fungus... is that what it is/becomes/should look like? :P 

I can only compare it to others (no offense because I won't even attempt raising fungus growers) but others have peas and clumps of mold. How'd this guy achieve...I mean it looks like its a boxbox of the nastiest of cereals. But it's full. The ...house/bridge combo set up made me giggle. Thanks for sharing!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2016 - 6:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, it's normal for them to hang the fungus from the lid. When I had large colonies they did the same.

med_gallery_2_126_265921.jpg

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 22 2016 - 8:05 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My colony isn't quite that big yet in the latest picture posted. But, one container is pretty much 100% covered in fungus. And a second container has a bunch of fungus now. Also the brood pile is really big and there are tons of ants.

Plus, some of the workers are getting actually really nice sized. I saw a callow that was nearly the size of the local Pogonomyrmex californicus workers I see around here. Not quite as big, but close. Which is awesome to see, I think that one I saw is the largest I've seen in my colony. Then there is of course the super tiny workers, which are barely bigger than Argentine ant workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users