• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus, Formica or Lasius

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:38 AM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

1. Location of collection: London On
2. Date of collection: September 3rd 1pm sunny, temp 24
3. Habitat of collection: backyard deck
4. Length (from head to gaster): 20mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black/dark

She comfy in test tube, put nothing yet, any ideas? I'm thinking Camponotus pennsylvanicus but not sure thanks

Edited by antnothinglikeit, September 5 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:46 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Camponotus pennsylvanicus. She was likely forced to fly early because her colony didn't have enough food to keep her overwinter (due to drought conditions).

She would probably appreciate some sugary liquid.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 5 2016 - 11:47 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 12:05 PM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

Camponotus pennsylvanicus. She was likely forced to fly early because her colony didn't have enough food to keep her overwinter (due to drought conditions).

She would probably appreciate some sugary liquid.

Thank you so much. I was surprised to see her, thought I missed this year's flight. Do you think she will hibernate if she doesn't have a colony started?

#4 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 12:51 PM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

now that I'm looking at other pictures I'm wondering if I have a Formica fusca, dealated females are August, September, which would make sense. ahhhh

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 12:53 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Like I said, Camponotus will fly in the fall if they don't have enough food to keep their alates over the winter, which is what they normally do. She is Camponotus pennsylvanicus, without a doubt.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 5 2016 - 2:45 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Why not modoc? @batspiderfish
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 6:34 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I honestly hadn't considered Camponotus modoc, because Ontario would be very far east for this species. Antmaps.org says that it has records of C. modoc in that area, but they don't have citations yet, so I am not really convinced. I can't see the finer details that would confirm Camponotus pennsylvanicus, so now I am only 90% sure.

It is absolutely not Formica or Lasius, at least.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 5 2016 - 6:35 PM.

----

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users