• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating Cable Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 30 2016 - 5:06 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Will Tetramorium caespitium and Lasius neoniger colonies be able to withstand a 15 watt Zoo Med heating cable?

• Canadian anter likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 30 2016 - 6:12 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The wattage has nothing to do with how hot it gets, except when comparing two identical lengths.  Longer lengths require more watts of power to heat, naturally.

Yes, I highly recommend heating cables for most species, as you can precisely apply heat to a small area using just a sliver of cable.  Do not wrap the cables around test tubes, as that will get far too hot.

Heating cables are best applied to the top of a horizontally positioned formicarium, or the front of a vertically positioned formicarium, so as to eliminate any potential for condensation on the glass/plastic.  It is advised to position the cable in such a way as to create both warmer and cooler zones, so the ants may choose their preference.

Browse Heating Cables on Amazon.com

Edited by drtrmiller, August 30 2016 - 6:14 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2016 - 6:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, wattage is just the overall power put out. The same amount of power could come from something really huge and only slightly warm, or something really tiny, but scorching hot.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 30 2016 - 8:11 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

thank you for clarifying for me drew and terry. I knew that the term "watt" refers to the electric-input, but I always thought that this also played some sort of effect on the amount of heat emitted by the wire.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 31 2016 - 5:28 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've bought one of the cables based on everyones recommendation for them. I'm a little confused what to do with "all the extra slack" though. If my formicarium is 4 inches wide and I sticky tack 4 inches of of heating portion of the cable to the topside of it, what to do with the...2 feet of extra heating cable? I'm not sure what to do besides coil it under a fake rock out of the way. Curious to see if they attract towards THAT then. I feel as though I might have to play around with the sticky tack cord for my design till I find the happy spot for everything. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 31 2016 - 5:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

thank you for clarifying for me drew and terry. I knew that the term "watt" refers to the electric-input, but I always thought that this also played some sort of effect on the amount of heat emitted by the wire.

It's a measure of power emitted, which can be a measure of heat emitted. You just have to understand there are different ways to disperse heat or power, that might give the perception of more or less, even if it's technically the same amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users