• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Flavus – Questions about underground foragers.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted August 30 2016 - 5:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

So, I have a few new L. flavus queens. I’ve been doing some reading about them and they’re underground foragers. Rarely being seen above ground. Both of my L.flavus colonies will occasionally send workers to the surface for food. This works, but how would I go about replicating their natural environment?

Has anyone tried to culture root aphids? Thinking of trying some form of aeroponics with clear medium around living plant roots. But I’m not sure.

But then again, do I want them to always stay in the nest? Idk.

#2 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted August 30 2016 - 1:18 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Lasius Flavus live in my garden under the lawn. If you grow some grass in a soil setup you could replicate their environment to an extent. But you would probably never see them. I kept them in a acrylic set up and just fed them honey, they thrived until I released them in my garden.

Edited by Jeoff82, August 30 2016 - 1:20 PM.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted August 31 2016 - 8:51 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Yeah, these guys don't really ever come above ground. They stay under the pavers and bricks to absorb heat from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users