• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Importing ants from abroad to the U.K.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 3:39 AM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales, U.K. / Southern Brazil
Hi,

I'm new to this interesting hobby, and have a question related to foreign species. I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I've not found a thread with specifics so far.

I spend a few months every year with my wife and Daughter in Southern Brazil. Is it possible to LEGALLY bring back queens etc from there, and if so, what would this involve?

I've seen a good number of differing species around the region (sadly I don't have the skills to identify them yet, hopefully with photos the members here will help me learn to ID them).

I see some UK companies offering ants from the Americas, so I'm assuming someone, somewhere must have imported them at some point.

The question is... Is it worth the bother and I assume cost? Can I, as an individual, obtain the required export / import licenses? or should I simply set up a few colonies out there also?

Thanks to all.

#2 Offline Ntume - Posted August 28 2016 - 9:51 AM

Ntume

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ask the person from Antkit who's in charge of taking care of the queens and colonies how he does it. I know he just picks them up after a vet at customs checked their health. They even call him to say if all are alive and that the package is ready to be picked up.

#3 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:10 AM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Ntume,

Thanks for that. I will contact them and see if they can help. I'd imagine there are pretty tight rules regarding the import of non native insects, but it has to be possible.

It's a long way off in the future though to be honest, as I'm new to this and I have a lot to learn with our native species before I attempt anything with the Brazilian ants.

We recently went hiking in the mountain regions of Santa Catarina and I had my first sting from one of the larger ants therein. Wow...

Ian

Edited by Ianwmiles, August 28 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:11 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

A lot of the American ants for sale are either illegally imported or from countries which do not have such laws. It ends up being a big problem for myrmecologists, who now have to go through great lengths to officially import species for legitimate research.

• LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:29 AM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Batspiderfish,

After spending a few days wandering around the web, I think I can see what you mean. I imagine the financial gain to be made from smuggling some of these species is quite a lure given he prices I've noted on some websites. It has the potential to cause great harm however.

I was curious if there was a legal way of importing them. I'll have to find out what Brazilian legislation says. If it's not possible legally, I'd not bother at all :)

#6 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:47 AM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can always attempt setting up a few colonies out there after gaining experience here. Just have to convince my wife to care for them when I'm not there (she's not the greatest lover of bugs).

Am I a little late in the season to catch any flying here now? Any suggestions of finding a few British queens at this time of year (bar buying them). I only returned a week ago, and I have a suspicion I've missed my chance.

Ian

#7 Offline Ntume - Posted August 28 2016 - 11:35 AM

Ntume

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
In europe the first honeypots have come for sale, Pogonomyrmex's too.

https://myants.deHoneypots Pogonomyrmex you name it.
Antdealer.com mimicus honeypot queen for 249 euro 😂😂😂

We rarely get them for sale in europe so people are going crazy for them.

#8 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 3:23 PM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
They have quite a collection. My German is a little rusty, but I followed enough to read the descriptions. A few in there I would love to keep some day, one of which I've already met. Prices though... Wow!

I'm totally new to this, so I'm unsure of the prices that ants are selling for. I think I will do all of my learning with (much cheaper) easy to keep, Brit or Euro species.

Any suggestions?

I have a friend in Brazil who works within the environmental sciences chasing policy on exporting. See what he comes back with :)

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 28 2016 - 4:43 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Stealing any kind of wildlife from Brazil is highly illegal. Not recommended to try smuggling them out.

#10 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 28 2016 - 4:58 PM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi gcsnelling,

I'd imagine it is highly illegal to try to smuggle any fauna or floura out of the country without the correct paperwork, and I'm sure it would also cause quite a bit of bother for those caught doing it with the Police Militar at customs.

I don't have any intention of trying to smuggle them however. I was enquiring if anyone knew of the process of legally exporting from Brazil / importing too the U.K.

If I can't do it legally, I'll just set something up to keep them there as well as here. It must be possible however, as many of the shops in Europe seem to be offering species from the Americas, including Brazil

Cheers,

Ian

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 28 2016 - 5:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

You will not get paperwork from Brazil, even legitimate researchers find it almost impossible to get export paperwork.

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 28 2016 - 6:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The Euro shops are probably very secretive about sourcing, but I would imagine that some operate very dubiously.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:45 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Stick to the UK native species :) some are very interesting such as Formica Sanguinea. As for nuptial flights, I think most may be done now, I will still look every day though until the end of September.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#14 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted August 28 2016 - 10:50 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Here is a link with some info on importing as I have tried to find out some similar info recently.

http://ahvla.defra.g.../iin/bllv-1.pdf

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#15 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 29 2016 - 10:58 AM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again, thanks for the information. I'll read through it and see what I can find out. It doesn't hurt to enquire :)

I'm going to start with our domestic species Jeoff82, it just seems I've arrived a little late to catch my own this year (plus I'm lacking experience at the moment).

I see the website has a trading section. Am I likely to find UK enthusiasts with queens to sell? Nothing exotic to start.

Thanks to all

#16 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted August 29 2016 - 11:20 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
You will be better looking at a website such as antkit or one of the french/german websites to purchase a colony or queen. I normally use Antskalytta as he sells some good quality native species.

#17 Offline Ntume - Posted August 29 2016 - 11:28 AM

Ntume

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Because gerhard kalytta has never been caught smuggling right ;-)

#18 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted August 29 2016 - 12:30 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I wouldn't know. But I know his stock and service is good quality.

#19 Offline Ianwmiles - Posted August 29 2016 - 12:36 PM

Ianwmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll head over to Antkit later and see what's on offer :)

Lots to do first.
  • Jeoff82 likes this

#20 Offline spider_creations - Posted August 30 2016 - 9:21 AM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I know someone who has the import export papers in Spain or France they wanted Acromyrmex vericolor even though with the papers it's not illegal I would make sure they have the papers....I did not risk it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users