• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test Tube Founding Cylinders

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 22 2016 - 3:20 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi guys,

I'd love to get your feedback on this design.

Test Tube Founding Cylinders

Edited by Bcam43, August 23 2016 - 2:34 AM.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted August 22 2016 - 5:38 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

It's a cool idea, but seeing that the test tube setup is already working great, I don't think I would buy it unless it's cheap and has greatly increased results from the test tube setup.

• Bcam43 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 22 2016 - 5:55 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Is the amount of water a bit low?  I filled mine that are 17mm tubes over 1/2 way this summer for ones I caught, and most of them have gone thru about 1/2 the water at this point between drinking and evaporation.

#4 Offline YawningGull - Posted August 22 2016 - 12:06 PM

YawningGull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

Couldn't you just put a little dirt in the test tubes for the ants instead. I might start doing that.

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted August 22 2016 - 12:22 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Is the amount of water a bit low?  I filled mine that are 17mm tubes over 1/2 way this summer for ones I caught, and most of them have gone thru about 1/2 the water at this point between drinking and evaporation.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

#6 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 23 2016 - 2:25 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

There are 2 cylinders in each test tube. Just take one out and increase the reservoir. As we keep our queens in sealed incubators the external humidity is quite high. As a result evaporation is quite low.

#7 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 23 2016 - 2:27 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Couldn't you just put a little dirt in the test tubes for the ants instead. I might start doing that.

The problem with dirt and other mediums is that they tend to stick to and dirty the glass making visibility worse than what we've proposed. The other problem is that it moves around a lot and can stress/injure the queens.

#8 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 23 2016 - 2:29 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

It's a cool idea, but seeing that the test tube setup is already working great, I don't think I would buy it unless it's cheap and has greatly increased results from the test tube setup.

We have quite a few of these cylinders in testing at the moment against a similar amount of normal test tubes to compare the difference. We have also had some great success to date with this design on some hard to please Australian Melophorus queens. We'll keep everyone posted on the results.

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted August 23 2016 - 4:36 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

We have quite a few of these cylinders in testing at the moment against a similar amount of normal test tubes to compare the difference. We have also had some great success to date with this design on some hard to please Australian Melophorus queens. We'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Alright then, sounds good.

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 23 2016 - 4:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Anyone who was active during the old Yuku days, will remember that the GroTube was a test tube designed by committee—an over-engineered monstrosity with so many compromises in the name of versatility, as to be practically useless.

Find what works satisfactorily for you, under a variety of conditions, and then distribute it to others to obtain feedback based on actual hands-on experiences, rather than speculation. It's a slower process, but one that produces a superior design intent.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 23 2016 - 6:58 PM.

• Bcam43 and noebl1 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 23 2016 - 6:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I feel optimistic about this. I made a few hydrostone nests very similar to these in dram tubes. The ants I've tried all seem to do well, but there's inherent problems with hydration and moving them so they ultimately crash.

• Bcam43 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#12 Offline Bcam43 - Posted August 24 2016 - 3:02 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

I feel optimistic about this. I made a few hydrostone nests very similar to these in dram tubes. The ants I've tried all seem to do well, but there's inherent problems with hydration and moving them so they ultimately crash.

Thanks for the insight Foogoo. We'll keep these things in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users