• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What needs to be created? [Manufacturing]

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted August 18 2016 - 5:57 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Hey all ant keepers,

I recently have been looking into the design of formicaria and similar ant products. I wish to know what you keepers would like to see come out, whether is some new idea for a formicarium, or new anting equipment. I'd really like to know what you have to say, and if you have any really good ideas, feel free to pm me :)

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 19 2016 - 6:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Pac-Man theme. Maze like with the raised bumps. Can put the 4 ghosts in, Pac, and a cherry. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 19 2016 - 8:35 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

^ Ha.

You know, as for anting equipment, perhaps a more cost effective aspirator for sucking up ants. Or even a design of a hand vacuum that would actually be good at it. I have been playing with the idea in my head of an aspirator you can stick a testtube on, suck in a queen, pull off the test tube and cap it and then put another tube in for the next one.

For formicariums, you'll have to think hard to come up with new ideas since there's plenty of people working on them already. AntsCanada and byFormica already have some neat innovations and designs with their 3D printed products. But that also means you have some great stuff to work off of too. Check out Dspdrews formicarium threads for some great trials in the subject as well. And if you make a formicarium that you can fill with a big tank of water and not have to come back to water it every day, Drew will love you. :P

#4 Offline Goldsystem - Posted August 19 2016 - 9:12 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I would like to see modular 3D printed nests with water reservoirs that could be vertical or horizontal and that come in different sizes, that way ant keepers could have a nice 3D printed nest that fits there needs. Also I want cheaper outworlds, right now I'm using fish tanks and the antscanada and byformica outworlds are really nice but are expensive and while I'm not short for cash other ant keepers are. Ant kit makes some out worlds but is a uk based company so shipping can cost a lot aswell. Those are my ideas :D

#5 Offline Saftron - Posted August 19 2016 - 10:18 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Yes affordable outworlds and formicariums would be amazing.

• antgenius123 likes this

#6 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 10:47 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I've been trying to make a founding formicarium, but watering is a problem. Would you guys mind a little test tube sticking out of the top for water, or would that be ugly?

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:04 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Okay so essentially, here's the shape of it: 

Mx9na20.png

Edited by dspdrew, August 19 2016 - 6:10 PM.
Fixed image

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:10 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Loaded it to shapeways, $40 to print. I'm going to try and limit some material, as I want this under $30.

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Is it solid or hollow? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#10 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:23 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

I think it's great that you're putting some time into a printable founding formicarium! Another possible solution for someone when other methods don't work :D

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#11 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:50 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Is it solid or hollow? 

Whatever shapeways uses, I think they told me one is was automatically a 20% infill, but I could be wrong. If so, it's probably around that area.

#12 Offline Goldsystem - Posted August 19 2016 - 4:46 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I wouldn't mind there being a test tube sticking out the top :D also it would be cool if there was a piece of acrylic on each side with covers(that could be sold separately) so the queen could be viewed, which is a problem for some noobies is they check on there queens to often (I'm do this too!) also this is kinda copying antscanada but you could cut a hole through the back for a heating cable which would maby lower the cost

#13 Offline Goldsystem - Posted August 19 2016 - 4:47 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Kevin I'm very interested in what you trying to do here and I wish you success if you do decide to launch a product! :D

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 5:19 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I wouldn't mind there being a test tube sticking out the top :D also it would be cool if there was a piece of acrylic on each side with covers(that could be sold separately) so the queen could be viewed, which is a problem for some noobies is they check on there queens to often (I'm do this too!) also this is kinda copying antscanada but you could cut a hole through the back for a heating cable which would maby lower the cost

Kevin I'm very interested in what you trying to do here and I wish you success if you do decide to launch a product! :D

Thanks for the support! I do like the heating cable idea, I'll defiantly add it. The acrilic on the side, that might be a "eh" for now. Trying to keep materials down, and I really want to have something that doesn't need anything but the plastic, and of course acrylic top. I also might invest into a printer, that way I can get the price to right about where it should be.

I'm also considering designs like tarheel ants, I love their formicariums. Expect to see some different things coming out from me, I'm constantly getting ideas and such. The only problem is getting the brick for the immersive feel of the tarheel ants formicaria.

Also, would you guys prefer glass or acrylic, and if glass would you pay more for it? (obviously more expensive)

#15 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 5:50 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Yeesh! A whopping $63.92 to be printed at i.materialize in the cheapest material. If anyone want to collaborate with me and print some prototypes, I'd be down.

But wow, I don't think 3D printed formicariums will go very far.

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 19 2016 - 6:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

For those who want cheap out worlds, are you willing to have a plain plastic box, because I don't think anyone is going to build beautiful natural looking out worlds for 10 dollars?

#17 Offline Kevin - Posted August 19 2016 - 6:19 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Well drew, I never said ten dollars, obviously that's underpriced.

I can make outworlds, and the formicarium doesn't have to come with an out world. I can sell them together or separate, what ever you want. And no, I'm not trying to ruin the market for formicariums, just adding some well needed starter kits. Trust me, I have a good bit of "expensive" ideas in my head.

EDIT: I did some updating to the model, turns out it's 40$ a piece, but in bulk it's a lot less. I'd be willing to take "investment preorders/beta testers" that want to try out the product for a low price and give detailed feedback on fixes that need to be made. PM me if you're interested. The more people that pitch in the cheaper it will be, the company I use to print has major discounts for bulk orders.

Second Edit: I got the price down to $33, removing the designs on the side. I figured its more cost efficient, and well what the heck. If anyone is interested, contact me via pm or email @ kdw03@comcast.net

Edited by Kevin, August 19 2016 - 6:40 PM.

#18 Offline Goldsystem - Posted August 19 2016 - 8:50 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Oh wow I just brain farted wasn't even thinking about the see through top :D

Edited by Goldsystem, August 19 2016 - 8:50 PM.

#19 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 19 2016 - 9:38 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I would definitely be in favor of affordable modular / founding formicariums being released!!!!!!

#20 Offline Kevin - Posted August 20 2016 - 8:29 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

For the modular setup, hydration would be a small issue... there will probably only be one block for hydration and the crowding would not be good.

• ctantkeeper likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users