• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Getting ants to move nests

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted August 11 2016 - 7:35 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I'm having trouble getting my Camponotus colonies to move to their new nests.

I've let the old nests dry out, heated the new nest, and hydrated it. They are totally exposed to natural light.

It's been a few days and they haven't moved one pupae.

One of the nests is completely dried out and open to the air and they still won't move.

They have filled the old nests and I want to get them moved so I can re-use the old nests, for other colonies that need to be moved.

My Camponotus in wooden nest won't budge, and the nest has been dry for weeks.

My Lasius alienus colonies have been hooked up to new test tubes for a month or so and they stay in the dried up one? I have added heating cables, exposed to light, everything I can think of and they won't move.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline ParaStatic - Posted August 11 2016 - 2:11 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I also keep camponotus in wooden nests. And recently moved one, light didn't bother them any. After waiting forever I changed to a bulb that got hot and moved it closer to the nest. Every couple minutes I felt the glass to make sure it wasn't too hot. After about 5 minutes they moved to the other nest. If you do this I urge you to keep constant mind of the temps. If it gets too hot they will die.
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users