• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New heating cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 29 2016 - 10:01 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

So I bought a heating cable almost identical to this one :

https://www.amazon.c...d heating cable

but it was 15 watts and it was shorter. The heated portion of the cable kept getting smaller and smaller and now only the last couple of inches of the cable get warm at all. I am now looking for a new one and was wondering if anyone recommended anything?

Edited by Mdrogun, July 29 2016 - 10:02 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#2 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 30 2016 - 3:07 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I have the exact one and I have no complaints.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 29 2016 - 11:04 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I own a couple ZooMed heating cables of varying lengths.  They are really great when you can catch them on sale, like I did.

Human body temperature is around 99 F, and the heating cable surface temperature gets about 30-40 F warmer than ambient, and perform optimally when the ambient is greater than 75 F.  I have observed that the heating cables don't feel warm at all in a cold room, but are quite warm at around 78 F ambient.  The silicone sheathing is a good insulator, so the thermal conductivity will never feel as hot as a metal surface, even at the same temperature.  Only a heat sensor can quantifiably tell you if it is working, or not.  If the product is defective, I would contact the manufacturer, who would likely send you a replacement.

It is important to note that not the entire cable is the heated length.  There is a marking, shown below, to indicate where the heated portion starts—the rest of the cable is just an extension of the overall length.

plypJjBR-ubaKioFxwPuRw0hk54qgGCoXz3eLqP3

Edited by drtrmiller, August 29 2016 - 11:07 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 29 2016 - 3:59 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

What is your recommendation for application? It's a long cable. Do you snake it back and forth on the backside of a nest? Drape a single cord portion across the nest?  What do you do with the extra cord then? Is that what your cord portion above was about? Take a rock and wrap that thing up?

Question bomb!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users