• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request - CO 7/26/16 - Tiny Yellow Ant

Best Answer kellakk , July 27 2016 - 10:08 AM

I agree, some kind of Solenopsis sp. thief ant. Solenopsis molesta is generally the most common, but there are others that look like that, especially in the south.

Right, I forgot that S. carolinensis is found there as well.  Do thief ants other than S. molesta infest homes, though? 

Sgheaton, I don't think there's any special information you need to raise them. You might want to check out dspdrew's journal of his colony, or that of the others here who've raised S. molesta.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 25 2016 - 5:21 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Whenever my cat - or the neighbors - misses a piece of cat food or treat outside...I've noticed these lil buggers come out from somewhere. They have managed to survive a chemical wall into my house, aren't out EVER, and seem to only make an appearance when I forget to chuck leftover pieces into the yard. Well....finally found a queen walking out and about! ...except I AM OUT of containers. Having to resort to..this.. http://i.imgur.com/AFVdrgo

Title:
1. Location of collection - Firestone, CO. On my back porch - Walking through the cracks of my bricks. 
2. Todays Date - 7/27/16

Body:
1. Location of collection - This is a picture of where I have found them - http://i.imgur.com/ZeyIgIQ -  she was actually about 5 from the pots there. 

2. Date of collection  7/26/16      ~4:00 p.m. 
3. Habitat of collection  - backyard? 
4. Length  - Calipers showed 3.8 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture - Yellow. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics ​- Not much besides that they have a bigger, yellow abdomen. 
7. Anything else distinctive  - n/a
8. Nest description - FINALLY found them in a pile of loose dirt/sunflower seeds/ sand in a crack on the back patio. Not a good spot. WILL be wash away by rain. ...and yet they are always around...
9 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Edited by sgheaton, July 27 2016 - 5:37 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2016 - 5:51 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Pictures are way better for identification anyways.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 5:21 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Bumpin' as I've updated this with a new request.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline kellakk - Posted July 27 2016 - 8:14 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Solenopsis molesta?

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 8:35 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I defer to you experts :P. It might be that actually... 

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 27 2016 - 9:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I agree, some kind of Solenopsis sp. thief ant. Solenopsis molesta is generally the most common, but there are others that look like that, especially in the south.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 9:43 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Thief ant?!?? I'm going to have black-pavement ants, red-harvester ants, and now yellow-thief ants?! Do I need to know anything about them if I choose to raise them? 

#8 Offline kellakk - Posted July 27 2016 - 10:08 AM   Best Answer

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Right, I forgot that S. carolinensis is found there as well.  Do thief ants other than S. molesta infest homes, though? 

Sgheaton, I don't think there's any special information you need to raise them. You might want to check out dspdrew's journal of his colony, or that of the others here who've raised S. molesta.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 27 2016 - 10:11 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Going to assume its in the Solenopsis grouping...but will remain that as open for now. Calling it solved though. No idea if they are even fertile. Going to check out others journals about them though to see if its something I'm wanting. They are SOOOooooo tiny that a tiny THA set up would probably be all that they need ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users