• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID

Best Answer Batspiderfish , July 24 2016 - 7:46 PM

Likely Hypoponera opacior, based on the time of year; Ponera pennsylvanica, the other option, flies in the fall.

The two genera can be differentiated by details on the underneath of the petiole:

http://mississippien...enera.key.htm#5

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 24 2016 - 6:29 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

She was caught in Naperville, IL on 7/24/16 using a Blacklight. She is 1/4 of an inch (this is pretty inacurate it was really hard to measure her),blackish-brown and quite skinny.

I had a hard time uploading my picture to formiculture to here is a video:

https://youtu.be/XdY4hLsYG9Q

Edited by Mdrogun, July 24 2016 - 6:32 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted July 24 2016 - 7:33 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

From the video I confidently say Temnothorax Americanus.

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 24 2016 - 7:45 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

From the video I confidently say Temnothorax Americanus

Batspiderfish's answer seems to be the correct one.

Edited by Mdrogun, July 24 2016 - 7:50 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 24 2016 - 7:46 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Likely Hypoponera opacior, based on the time of year; Ponera pennsylvanica, the other option, flies in the fall.

The two genera can be differentiated by details on the underneath of the petiole:

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 24 2016 - 7:49 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 24 2016 - 7:49 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Likely Hypoponera opacior, based on the time of year. Ponera pennsylvanica flies in the fall.

Man, how are you so good at this?

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 24 2016 - 7:56 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Haha. I am still recovering from calling a certain Pogonomyrmex alate a wasp, but thank you! :)

We don't have a lot of ponerines this far north and the subfamily is very distinct.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 24 2016 - 8:33 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

North American ponerines are tricky semiclaustral ants to raise, so try to see what other people have done with them. I've only come close to founding a Ponera colony once, so far, by introducing a worker and having filled their test tube with dirt. Sadly, the first brood were males.  :(

To me, Ponera seemed so bad at fighting that I figured I might be able to adopt her to a foreign worker. They feuded for about a month before joining up and acting like a colony.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 24 2016 - 8:35 PM.

----

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 24 2016 - 8:37 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

North American ponerines are tricky semiclaustral ants to raise, so try to see what other people have done with them. I've only come close to founding a Ponera colony once, so far, by introducing a worker and having filled their test tube with dirt. Sadly, the first brood were males.  :(

To me, Ponera seemed so bad at fighting that I figured I might be able to adopt her to a foreign worker. They feuded for about a month before joining up and acting like a colony.

I would expect them to be good at fighting with their nimble bodies and more pronounced mandibles. I had a Stigmatomma queen once. Like a complete idiot, right after she laid eggs I decided to warm her up to help speed up growth but I accidentally cooked her.  :P

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2016 - 5:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Yikes! It's good that you got her to the egg-laying stage. People have huge difficulty founding colonies of this genus without offering the queens helper workers or brood, which is why I did the same with my vaguely similar Ponera.

It might not be that they are bad at fighting, but that they seemingly aren't physically or behaviorally adapted to fight other ants.

Stigmatomma is in a different subfamily, in case anybody didn't know -- Amblyoponinae, while Ponera is in Ponerinae.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 25 2016 - 6:01 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users