• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Floam's Crematogaster sp.

crematogaster arizona

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline floam90s13 - Posted July 22 2016 - 10:23 AM

floam90s13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationArizona
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. I wanted to start a journal for my two species I've been fortunate enough to find. Since I enjoy reading about everyone else's I figured why not, they probably like reading others as well. Also, I will post pictures with every update regardless of how boring. Because everyone loves pictures. If for whatever reason you want to see my ID post it's linked here. http://www.formicult...-july-1st-2016/

First off we have a beautiful Crematogaster sp. I found her on July 1st 2016 at 9pm or so, about 16-20 hours after a storm rolled through. She was hanging onto my kitchen screen (the outside). There is a big light in my backyard that I can't turn off and I decided to look since I found a Camponotus the same night outside my wall. Actually I found a second one near the Crematogaster under the same light a few minutes later as well, but those will be in a different journal of course.

The night I caught her! All I had at the time was Tupperware and have since received some test tubes from my mother who is a chemist. Didn't have cotton or anything either so I used a qtip to provide water for a few days. Don't worry, the test tubes and qtips were new.
E21FD14A-9FC8-4F22-BC42-3CC6EF8F22D6_zps

This was the night before I got the test tubes. She ditched half of her wings and layed some eggs. I transferred them with her into a test tube the next day. I have no idea if they survived or if she just laid more, but she did immediately go over to them and start cleaning them.
IMG_2617_zpsuc6i1vp6.jpg

This was today. Looks like a decent amount of eggs and larvae! I'm getting excited!
B570CC04-6F73-4EAC-A011-C2F649A822E3_zps
B80A14E8-2FF6-4BDE-9067-3604D1D935E0_zps

And this is her water getting low in her original test tube. So I originally taped the new one to her old one, but she left her eggs and seemed to be defensive where the tubes met. Idk if she didn't like the smell of the tape or what, so I set them in yet another Tupperware container and covered the new one. Hopefully she will move her brood into the one that has more water and darkness.
B0567C79-2848-4423-916A-EE11F7656DD1_zps

That's all I have for now. I've been researching all the different homemade formicarium and need to decide on something soon. I have no problem spending a little dough on a commercial one, but like diy stuff so I'll try that.

If you see something I've done that doesn't make sense, you've tried and the ants didn't react well, or have overall advice please comment and share your knowledge. I'm here to learn as well as show off my lovely ladies.

Edited by floam90s13, July 22 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 23 2016 - 12:25 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

can't believe she kept her wings!!! Hopefully they will not mold. Keep us updated ;)

#3 Offline floam90s13 - Posted July 23 2016 - 9:53 AM

floam90s13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationArizona

can't believe she kept her wings!!! Hopefully they will not mold. Keep us updated ;)

I didn't realize that was a specific threat. Maybe her workers will remove them for her.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, arizona

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users