• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

"Kenetic Sand"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KingLarryXVII - Posted July 17 2016 - 3:58 PM

KingLarryXVII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAllegan, Michigan

I was wondering if anyone has done any experimenting with "Kenetic Sand" type products?

http://www.brookston...nd/845812p.html

I think I'll be setting up a non-queen set-up to test out the visibility, toxicity, anti-fungal and water holding properties, but was wondering if anyone has beat me to the punch?

-G

#2 Offline Air - Posted July 17 2016 - 4:13 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Kinetic sand won't absorb water, and will fall instantly after an ant attempts to make a tunnel. 

Not to mention, there's most likely bleach inside of the sand.

#3 Offline KingLarryXVII - Posted July 17 2016 - 4:41 PM

KingLarryXVII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thank you for the reply.  What is shown in the video does not behave at all like what I have.  What I have behaves more like a Play-doh than sand.  That being said, water is going to be my first test before any ants see it.

It does claim to be anti-microbial, so the bleach comment may very well be correct as I'm not sure what they use.  It is meant to be handled and played with, so will be something at least heavily diluted (I understand that safe for people doesnt always equal safe for ants)

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 17 2016 - 5:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I can't recall whether this stuff is a polymer, or if it is oil-based, but others have brought it up in the past, and the consensus is that it is not optimal at best, and harmful at worst, for use in a formicarium.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline KingLarryXVII - Posted July 17 2016 - 5:57 PM

KingLarryXVII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

It says it's a polymer (98% sand, 2% unspecified polymer), but I'm sure there is other stuff in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users