• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Glendale, Arizona

Best Answer kellakk , July 18 2016 - 9:55 AM

I would agree with S. invicta.  As for your other question, the choice is up to you. In this case, if they're very similar, I would just add the ID request to this thread.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 13 2016 - 10:45 PM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Hello every one, I have found my first (and only) Queen so far.

Found this ant on the sidewalk. At first I thought it was male because of various shapes it had but it has been almost a week and a half in a test tube and its still alive and has 20+ eggs. The eggs are the size of a pinhead and the same white as my cotton so I do not know how many for sure. Now when I caught this ant I was specifically hunting for Pogonomyrmex rugosus as identified here http://www.formicult...endale-arizona/. Lots of those nests within a reasonable distance from collections site. There is at least one other known but as of yet identified ant species nearby that I could be confusing this with and I say that because I did not expect this queen to have the red head or slender body. If I had to guess then a different Pogonomyrmex or the local fire ant. The unknown workers are mostly red with black gasters, two petiole nodes, and would be in the medium to large size range.

1. Location of collection:  Sidewalk in Glendale,AZ
2. Date of collection:  June 29 late morning, it rained the previous night
3. Habitat of collection: N/A
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5 to 8 MM (poor quality ruler)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: the majority of the ant is a dark brownish color, noticeably red head and some slight red in the gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Bite and sting, 2 petiole nodes
7. Anything else distinctive: Still has wings, long slender body, smallish head, gaster is more long than fat and round. The mandibles are smaller/weaker looking than I would have expected if this is a P. rugosus
8. Nest description: N/A

Behavioral note: Queen has been messing with the cotton on both sides of the tube quite a bit. At first worried it was trying to escape but checking in on it later it seems to be using the cotton like a substrate and forming it, some of the eggs are in these formations. You can almost see a few in the picture.

picture taken with a camera phone and was the only one to turn out in the set, will take more if needed.

med_gallery_890_568_1124803.jpg

[edit] Three more pictures.

med_gallery_890_568_685560.jpg

med_gallery_890_568_398068.jpg

med_gallery_890_568_460425.jpg

Thanks in advanced for any help provided.

Edited by Origional_Username, July 14 2016 - 8:36 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 14 2016 - 3:27 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Looks like Solenopsis invicta from here. Can we get more pictures?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 14 2016 - 9:00 AM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello again Batspiderfish, posted some more pictures for you.

would it really be S. Invicta? When I was doing some initial research to get into hobby I remember stumbling upon something that AZ has taken steps to prevent the spread of S. invicta here. Could have been an old article or something I will try to track it down if I can. There is a native fire ant of S. xyloni.

Hope the new pictures help and again any help is appreciated.

#4 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 14 2016 - 10:59 AM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey, so I found that article, is it useful I do not know: http://www.invasives...mals/rifa.shtml

Within this article there is a map of surveys done throughout the years: http://pest.ceris.pu...hp?code=ISASAZA

Not to dispute your ID I am just trying to wrap my head around this as I am still learning the ropes. S. invicta sounds quite scary

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 14 2016 - 12:25 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Solenopsis invicta is present from Florida to California, although its native competator, Solenopsis xyloni, still exists in the west. From what I've seen, Solenopsis xyloni is more consistent in its coloration, while Solenopsis invicta has all sorts of color forms, such as a light head and brown mesonotum and gaster.

A second opinion would be great!

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 14 2016 - 12:25 PM.

• Origional_Username likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 18 2016 - 9:25 AM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello, there was a small amount of rain yesterday so I went out looking for more queens. I have found one more of this ant with a slightly more interesting head coloration, other than that it looks exactly the same. Found it walking across the sidewalk deep in suburbia at about 8:30AM temp somewhere in the 80's. wundermap's precipitation values for the area were 0.16, and 0.11  Its not ideal but hopefully more rain in the coming days

Also found two other ants that I highly expect are male cause their absolutely tiny heads in comparison to the rest of their bodies. Just in case they get a test tube for a week and I can see what happens Do not know the species.

Question, for ant ID threads do I make separate threads for each additional ant I find that are not on the same collection day? if I caught many ants in the same day I can see putting into one large post. I have the new identical to original postings ant so it seems sorta relevant here but the other two I have no clue.

Thanks everybody

#7 Offline kellakk - Posted July 18 2016 - 9:55 AM   Best Answer

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I would agree with S. invicta.  As for your other question, the choice is up to you. In this case, if they're very similar, I would just add the ID request to this thread.

• Origional_Username likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#8 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 18 2016 - 12:25 PM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I would like to thank both of you Batspiderfish and Kellakk for being awesome, I appreciate the help.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 18 2016 - 3:00 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Looks awful dark to be S. invicta, lets get a shot of the antenna. There are scattered populations of a dark S. xyloni in Az.

#10 Offline Origional_Username - Posted July 18 2016 - 3:54 PM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Looks awful dark to be S. invicta, lets get a shot of the antenna. There are scattered populations of a dark S. xyloni in Az.

I am intrigued but I doubt I can get a good enough picture of the antenna. As for the coloring, some darkness may be present because of the quality of my picture taking. Camera phone and a flashlight against a white piece of paper in a ok lite room selecting the best of twenty. If you were to provide some sort of checklist I could look under a magnifying glass and report the findings. Or maybe picture taking/budget equipment tips.

#11 Offline kellakk - Posted July 18 2016 - 8:28 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Is it really too dark? I thought I'd seen S. invicta that dark before, but maybe they were actually invicta x richteri hybrids.

• drtrmiller likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users