• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

3D Modeling Formicariums, I need an idea for hydration.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted July 10 2016 - 8:00 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Hello guys,  I've been recently designing multiple formicariums but I need a water source idea. Most of the formicariums I am designing come cut into 4's so it can easily be printed on smaller printers, hooking together with trapezoid shaped connectors. I was thinking of providing a connector that has a watering thing in it. but I also felt like some ants need their nest moist, and that idea wasn't great. I am trying to make this as simple as possible, I don't want to add mesh and screens. I'll provide pictures of some things I've been designing.

0vILhBR.png

As you can see in this picture I attempted to make holes for cotton, but I  can't get it to work. Still a newb at AutoCad

vMjud0d.png

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 10 2016 - 8:33 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

i would reccoend using the ants canada method of hydration which uses mesh (which makes up portion of the nest floor), some sort of substrate underneath the mesh as well as an external watering reservoir. Btw, if you decide to make founding setups, i will buy them (depending on the price).

Edited by ctantkeeper, July 10 2016 - 8:33 AM.

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted July 10 2016 - 9:29 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

i would reccoend using the ants canada method of hydration which uses mesh (which makes up portion of the nest floor), some sort of substrate underneath the mesh as well as an external watering reservoir. Btw, if you decide to make founding setups, i will buy them (depending on the price).

I am trying to not use mesh, thus raising the price. My plan is to make formicariums that are low cost but good quality, I've seen some ridiculous prices around here for formicariums, I also think it might scare some people away. By founding setup, do you mean claustural (might be misspelled) chambers? I recommend the test tube setup, but I could make multi-queen setups and I am working on an expandable nest that you can adjust the size depending on your colony's size.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 10 2016 - 9:31 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

You can take a look at what I did here, it works pretty well, but I haven't tested it on ants yet. http://www.formicult...ta-92715/page-3

I'll probably put a dab of grout on the ends of the water capillaries to spread the moisture and stop ants from going down into it. 

If you wanted to connect it for multiple nests, you'd probably need a gasket to make a water tight seal. 

Also, for mesh costs, someone recommended using pipe screens which you can get for $0.10 a piece depending on size and material.

https://www.amazon.c...ode=10342670011

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted July 10 2016 - 10:00 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

So you have the water push through the holes and out to those triangles inside the nest? That might be too difficult for me but I'm sure I can figure it out, after all I did make what I have so far out of little to none tutorials.

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 10 2016 - 10:19 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I am trying to not use mesh, thus raising the price. My plan is to make formicariums that are low cost but good quality, I've seen some ridiculous prices around here for formicariums, I also think it might scare some people away. By founding setup, do you mean claustural (might be misspelled) chambers? I recommend the test tube setup, but I could make multi-queen setups and I am working on an expandable nest that you can adjust the size depending on your colony's size.

Sorry, I did not see that you did not want to use mesh in your earlier post. Btw, by "founding setup", I am actually referring to setups built to house young - medium sized colonies. As you may be aware of, the use of a test tube setup is not always practical for all species of ants (Take for example, species of ants that spray formic acid when distressed.). These setups provide the user with the aesthetics and versatility of a formicarium, but with the practicality of one that is small and compact (Designs for these setups are often simple in nature in order to prevent the placement of midden piles within unused chambers in the nest.). Founding setups such as mini hearths (THA) have proven to increase the rate of growth in small colonies and colony health overall. With so many new members, the value of setups such as these has become a lot more apparent with time. I personally believe tat they are an essential tool for any beginner. Sadly, there are not a lot out their that are built to house young colonies and still have enough space / the correct conditions for them to continue to use the setup far into development (130-250 worker range or higher, depending on worker size). If you do decide to build on of these, I would recommend creating a formicarium with a simple interior, with maybe 2-3 chambers and small, easy to navigate tunnels connecting them together. The second picture looks perfect, but it would be awesome to see a design similar to the second picture, but with the organic and flowing design of the formicarium shown in the first picture.

#7 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 10 2016 - 12:33 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I just use a piece of floral foam in my acrylic nests. It's cheap and it holds moisture well.
As in this nest below, it's the round green area.

248749D5-5444-43EC-8703-E4F9FADF0817_zps

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#8 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 10 2016 - 4:35 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

So you have the water push through the holes and out to those triangles inside the nest? That might be too difficult for me but I'm sure I can figure it out, after all I did make what I have so far out of little to none tutorials.

For the most part it's just a small tunnel with a small area designed to not need any support structures. If you want some more details about it you can PM me and I can let you know anything you want to ask.

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted July 10 2016 - 5:13 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Alright, Thanks. I started to design the founding nest, I've yet to decide whether to use large pipe (1/2" external diameter) or the smaller pipe (3/8" external diameter)... I'm thinking small due to the fact that it is a small colony, but I also don't know the standard piper, which would be more appropriate for moving the colony into a larger nest.

Here's what I have so far, it's a 5"x5" formicarium with a simple layout. Each block is 1/2", and there's one tunnel i'm worried that larger species will have a hard time getting through with ease. I also am planning to have a clip on waterer, but i just remembered that might not work, atleast be easily done. I might have to expand the overall size, or come up with something else.

Tb21zCO.png

#10 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 5:06 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I made a new design, it's a 6x6" square. I might add fillets on the ends, to remove unnecessary plastic and for no sharp edges. I still have to figure out how to make the watering system work, though I have a reservoir. I also need to know what size tubing is standard. Let me know if you guys want rounded edges or an altered design, and the other little things I need. I'd be willing to make more designs.

ZFdkZ7o.png

Edited by Kevin, July 11 2016 - 5:07 AM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#11 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 11 2016 - 8:27 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Solidworks? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 8:37 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

AutoCad. I was originally going with SolidWorks but I didn't feel like filling out an application, lol.

• Loops117 likes this

#13 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 11 2016 - 8:57 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

This is what all the money i've earned from selling ant related stuff is going towards. Great ideas! I won't let 3 years of mechanical/architectural drafting and 3D modeling go to waste.

• BrittonLS likes this

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 9:53 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Yeah, if you don't have a printer some libraries will have one, mine is $1/h, which is pretty good. I'm going to finish this founding chamber and print out a couple, then I'll upload it to a printing service and see how much it is. From there I will add the price of acrylic and I'll let you guys know how much it will be for sale.

#15 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 10:29 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Also, the durability will greatly affect the price. I'm thinking hollow or 5% density infill.

#16 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 11 2016 - 11:46 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Oh jeez, time to start researching my local libraries.

#17 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 12:42 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

This is what 5% density looks like, not sure if it's even worth doing. Take a look:

pwtHqjV.png

It would decrease the price also to make it hollow. Let me know what you guys think, and also what size tubing (external diameter) I should use.

#18 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 11 2016 - 1:05 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

the new design looks awesome btw!!! when will it be released and where?

#19 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 2:00 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

the new design looks awesome btw!!! when will it be released and where?

Wow, you guys are really liking these. I'll have to think of a company name and make a website   :D , but the will be released within a week or so, depending on when I finish the last bits and order them to be made.

Edited by Kevin, July 11 2016 - 2:00 PM.

#20 Offline Kevin - Posted July 11 2016 - 2:18 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Well, I came up with a name, and I think it's pretty good. I think I'll let the logo speak for itself:

1ZyBOy4.png

I might change the actual fire's color to match the "fyre", lol.

hopefully the logo doesn't show meaning of ant extermination  :(

Edited by Kevin, July 11 2016 - 2:19 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users