• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Thoughts on Dallas Shooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 9 2016 - 4:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
What happened in ‪‎Dallas‬ was a horrific and reprehensible reaction—but a reaction, nonetheless—to an increasing number of terrifying, fatal police encounters that have taken place all across the country, mostly to men and women of color—people who have not been convicted of any crime.

As a country, we have tackled and solved far greater problems than this current crisis. Nearly a half-century ago, we celebrated a decade-long space race, pushed hard by both our elected representatives and publicly funded scientists, by achieving the extraordinary goal of landing a man on the moon. If we could land on the moon decades ago, why, in the 21st century, can we not devote more public funding and more research to combating this growing wave of unintended deaths during policing?

First, we must start by recognizing that both the epidemic of police violence, as well as the counter violence that results in the form of ungovernable protests and terror attacks, are, at their core, a public-health problem in need of public dollars to fund both behavioral research, as well as defensive technologies to protect officers, and new technologies to subdue violent suspects through effective, non-lethal means. Our growing fixation with obsolete, ineffectual, and deadly firearm and taser technology, in combination with increased video exposure to the barbarities committed by both law enforcement and misguided social justice warriors alike, only reinforces the need for better tools.

Second, we must act to reform the attitudes within the law enforcement apparatus, in an historic effort to regain the trust of a public that has a growing number of legitimate reasons to distrust police. At the heart of this, is the simple idea that police officers should look like and live in the communities they serve. This also means we should eliminate the military surplus-style equipment that departments across the country have been stockpiling for the past decade that makes our police look more like invading armies than public servants.

Third, we can not expect a nation to heal, when a disparate number of mostly black men remain in prison for nonviolent offenses like marijuana possession. Both law enforcement, and the public alike, must advocate relentlessly for an absolute and nonnegotiable end to a failed "war on drugs." Those non-violent offenders convicted of simple drug possession should be pardoned, with reasonable reparations given, and full voting and other legal rights restored.

How will law enforcement react to this atrocity? If the cycle of violence continues, with no reforms or changes made to protect the lives of the public, for whom law enforcement officers are sworn to serve, then I predict there will be a growing number of needless deaths on all sides. However, if this attack—as awful and completely unjustified as it was—serves as a wake-up call to all of us—a tipping point—then maybe we can act together to stop this reckless loss of life.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 9 2016 - 6:49 PM.

• rxxxm22 and Batspiderfish like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 9 2016 - 6:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Colored cops also shoot colored people. That is never reported in the news. Often times white cops shoot other white people, that is also not in the news.

Just liberal propaganda trying to start a race war.

• Subverted likes this

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 9 2016 - 6:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Is it the POC cops or the white cops that are six times more to kill you during an arrest if you aren't white? I mean some might call facts like this "liberal propaganda," but I never see those people wielding numbers, only opinions.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 9 2016 - 6:55 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Is it the POC cops or the white cops that are six times more to kill you during an arrest if you aren't white? I mean some might call facts like this "liberal propaganda," but I never see those people wielding numbers, only opinions.

Black on black murders also make up half of all murders (at least in the US).

Doesn't have much more to do with what you said that of blacks being more likely to be killed than white people.

The news never reports a white cop killing a white person, or a black cop killing a black person...that makes it liberal propaganda. If they also reported that in headline news, then it would not be propaganda. 

And when a mexican guy kills a black person, the liberal news then calls him "a white mexican", which is hilarious.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 9 2016 - 7:08 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The infamous "black on black violence" statistics are drawn from studies which show that crimes are more likely to be committed against members of the same race, so it illustrates nothing about racism and lack of accountability in the police force. The 6-1 racial bias was drawn directly from the FBI's records of arrest related deaths (which police stations are not even required to report to the federal government, I might add.) 

I don't remember anybody in liberal media calling Zimmerman anything meaningful but a murderer. I'm not going to pretend liberals weren't also crying that out, because liberals can be racist dirtbags too.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 9 2016 - 7:09 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 9 2016 - 7:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Vendayn, it's perfectly acceptable for you to make points on your own. But it is not acceptable for you to say that I have made points that I have not made. Nowhere did I imply that police were only shooting black men, or that all the police involved were white.

The facts are that African Americans make up just over 13% of the US population, and yet every other day, new videos are released that paint a picture of a disparate number of African American victims compared to their representative population. It is because of inconvenient truths like these, that movements such as Black Lives Matter have sprung forth, and the overwhelming victims of said violence, as a class, have resorted to violent protests and terror, after politicans and the justice system have repeatedly, miserably failed them. That is not to excuse any of the behavior whatsoever; but it must be acknowledged that the counter violence did not originate in a vacuum.

My original comment was not about race, but about the brutality and barbarism many police officers have shown, which has brought us to this place. Law enforcement should be held to the absolute highest moral and technical standard in our society, and it is in this regard that their own personal human failures, and our failure as a society to adapt to the proliferation of guns, in particular, are largely, though not completely, responsible for the situation in which we find ourselves.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline rxxxm22 - Posted July 10 2016 - 10:42 AM

rxxxm22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCochrane Alberta Canada

Black on black murders also make up half of all murders (at least in the US).

Doesn't have much more to do with what you said that of blacks being more likely to be killed than white people.

The news never reports a white cop killing a white person, or a black cop killing a black person...that makes it liberal propaganda. If they also reported that in headline news, then it would not be propaganda. 

And when a mexican guy kills a black person, the liberal news then calls him "a white mexican", which is hilarious.

it looks as though you are getting ready to apply for a job at 'FAUX' news

#8 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 10 2016 - 12:46 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Living in the UK I just don't get the whole gun thing in America. I mean, I like guns to an extent, sometimes go pigeon shooting with shotguns and like to practice with my air rifle sometimes. But I see Americas view on carrying arms as far to causal, it's too easy to turn to the gun in a hostile situation instead of using words. I heard on the local radio that you can buy a handgun in Walmart, is this true? As for the black/white news story.. Well if it was a black cop that shot a white bloke would it of even made the news In this way?

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#9 Offline Barristan - Posted July 11 2016 - 2:42 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Just for comparison (2015):

Germany

Population: 81 million

Persons killed by police: 8

1 person killed for every 10,125,000

USA

Population: 320 million

Persons killed by police: 1208

1 person killed for every 264,901

Chance to be killed by police in the USA is 38.22 times higher than in Germany.

Sources:

http://www.schusswaf...Statistiken.pdf(page 3)

http://www.killedbyp...et/kbp2015.html

• Batspiderfish likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users