• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mineral Oil for mite treatment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 5 2016 - 1:45 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

So I was randomly watching bee keeping videos and one of them made a passing mention of fogging hives with mineral oil to kill parasitic mites on bees. Thought I'd bring it up since I know mites are a big concern for a lot of folks. It seems like the mineral oil suffocates the mites but doesn't harm the bees. The mineral oil is food safe and shouldn't kill anything chemically, from what I've seen. Whether or not it would suffocate ants or not could be worth looking into. There seem to be other methods including dusting with powdered sugar. Obviously it may be more effective against specific species of mites than others and could potentially be harmful to ants, especially smaller ones I imagine. Could be worth looking into for anyone wanting to do more than cursory research.

http://www.apiservic...mineral_oil.htm

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2016 - 4:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Mites and their eggs are extremely resilient to environmental changes, surviving extreme heat, cold, oxygen deprivation, physical trauma, and more.

Feel free to try and report your results, but I predict the usefulness of the technique will not transfer to ants.

Further, I also doubt the efficacy of the technique with bees. Parasitic mites usually have an advantage in numbers, and any mechanical mechanism of action, ie suffocation, is guaranteed to only affect a small, localized area.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 5 2016 - 6:01 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Mites and their eggs are extremely resilient to environmental changes, surviving extreme heat, cold, oxygen deprivation, physical trauma, and more.

Feel free to try and report your results, but I predict the usefulness of the technique will not transfer to ants.

Further, I also doubt the efficacy of the technique with bees. Parasitic mites usually have an advantage in numbers, and any mechanical mechanism of action, ie suffocation, is guaranteed to only affect a small, localized area.

Well fortunately, you don't have to doubt! The link I listed says exactly how effective it was! I appreciate you weighing in though. 

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2016 - 6:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
My doubts were a result of reading the material.

Mites were not eliminated from any colony, only their numbers were reduced. Some bee colonies died during the test period. Only aerosolized mineral oil delivered through "fog" was judged to be an effective treatment.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 5 2016 - 7:39 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

My doubts were a result of reading the material.

Mites were not eliminated from any colony, only their numbers were reduced. Some bee colonies died during the test period. Only aerosolized mineral oil delivered through "fog" was judged to be an effective treatment.

Yup, that's about what it said. Although I think the only ones that died were actually control groups. 

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2016 - 7:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Not "control groups;" the dead ones were conducted "in vitro," in the lab, full immersion in the oil.

#7 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 6 2016 - 8:04 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Anyway, it's worth noting for someone who can't get rid of parasitic mites on their colony. I don't have any mites or I'd certainly give it a try. What are some other methods you've seen work on mites?

#8 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 7 2016 - 5:29 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I once had a queen with a mite on her leg, when she brushed by a drop of honey the mite got stuck and died trying to crawl away.

I was told the honey may have dehydrated the mite.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#9 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 7 2016 - 7:40 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I once had a queen with a mite on her leg, when she brushed by a drop of honey the mite got stuck and died trying to crawl away.

I was told the honey may have dehydrated the mite.

Pretty good chance :)

• AntsMAN likes this

#10 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 7 2016 - 8:24 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Great video thanks for sharing.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2