• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a queen? Please help!!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Boopee128 - Posted July 4 2016 - 9:16 AM

Boopee128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ant
Album: Boopee
1 images
0 comments

Can anyone tell me if this is a queen ant?

Thanks

Edited by Boopee128, July 4 2016 - 9:38 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 4 2016 - 9:35 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

We don't have permission to view the album. :(

If you change the permissions, or embed the photograph using the toolbar, we might be able to help out.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Boopee128 - Posted July 4 2016 - 9:42 AM

Boopee128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have changed the album to public, please let me know if that worked.

Thanks

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 4 2016 - 10:11 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

She is a Formica queen of the fusca group. Nice find! :)

Remember to include some kind of location when you ask for an ID!

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline Boopee128 - Posted July 4 2016 - 10:23 AM

Boopee128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks. :) We live in Ontario Canada. Can you tell me if the yellow little blob is a egg directly in front of her?

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 4 2016 - 10:36 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It doesn't look like an egg to me, but your queen shout start laying soon. Just remember that Formica are sensitive ants; try to avoid bumping or bothering them. :)

----

#7 Offline Boopee128 - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:12 PM

Boopee128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you know if formica are fully claustral?

Thx for all your help

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 4 2016 - 10:11 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There are a few groups of Formica that are social parasites, but this type of Formica (fusca-group) is independent and fully claustral, yes.

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users