• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aquarium-formicarium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 3 2016 - 2:52 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I'm planning on using a aquarium I got pretty cheap to make an outworld/formicarium, but I do have a small concern. It's glass, so the corners are held together with silicone. I imagine that gives any ants a pretty good grip to climb up. Does anyone have experience with that? I doubt fluon would really keep them off it. I assume I'll have to rely on the lid to keep them crawling out there. 

#2 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:22 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I would put a 2-3 inch lip at the top, the whole way around and put Fluon on the under side of the lip.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#3 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 4 2016 - 8:08 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I would put a 2-3 inch lip at the top, the whole way around and put Fluon on the under side of the lip.

Probably the safest bet. The real question is who do I put where. I think I have a 2.5 and 10 gal tank? I'm sure wherever I put my fire ants they could fill it pretty quick. But who wants a 10 gal tank of fire ants?

#4 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 4 2016 - 8:23 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I'd love to have a 10 gallon tank full of fire ants :)   Maybe start off with the 2.5 and move up to 10 when needed.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted July 4 2016 - 11:48 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

How about tape some clear smooth tape (like scotch tape) on the silicone and apply fluon to the tape? 

• BrittonLS likes this

#6 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 4 2016 - 1:10 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

How about tape some clear smooth tape (like scotch tape) on the silicone and apply fluon to the tape? 

Huh, that's definitely worth a try. Actually I think I remember hearing using that before to easily apply and remove fluon. Nice, thanks.

#7 Offline Chandlerk - Posted September 23 2016 - 5:26 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Huh, that's definitely worth a try. Actually I think I remember hearing using that before to easily apply and remove fluon. Nice, thanks.

Did this work?
I plan to use a 10G aquarium also.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 23 2016 - 6:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Walmart - $13 dollar 10Gal Fish Tank
Ants - Free
Fluon - ....$35 dollars to keep them contained. I've been told its "The worry free barrier" IF YOU REMEMBER TO reapply when needed.

I'm doing the same set up and have put on the glass, under the lip, and on top of the tip and I'm still freaking out some. - on my first night I woke up periodically to check on things. This is supposedly extreme overkill as a little goes a long way and does a fantastic job. I probably won't be fully satisfied or comfortable until I build a halo ring that will extend the fluon barrier or use some 100 micro meshed screen. 

Something that hasn't been addressed is people making their own fluon. Small side project that I'm trying to look into. Considering its just PTFE-30 + water in a 5:1 ratio..... Polytetrafluoroethylene at least. I ended up buying premade byformica product the first time. I'll most likely utilize my degree for the second round because I'll probably run out before I should. 

To address the silicon at the top, simply cut a small chunk of the silicon out (keepint it sill connected on the outside wall) but removing from the inside to expose the glass. Apply fluon to the glass as the silicon isn't smooth enough for effect. I'd think that the tape (if smooth enough) would work though. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted September 23 2016 - 7:40 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Does vaseline work, i would imagine ants couldn't grip onto vaseline, or they would get stuck.??? I need to know because i would like to put it on my formicarium out world!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users