• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

3 Queens to ID

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 30 2016 - 6:17 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

First off. I traded for 2 Parasitic Lasius sp. queens. I don't think they're the same species though.

Sorry for picture quality. I take about 20-30 pictures and use the best. 

This is queen 1. 5~6mm in length. Caught in Michigan. Not sure what else.

20160629_230935.jpg

Queen 2. This one i'm almost positive is Parasitic. 5~6mm in length. Caught in Michigan. Not sure what else.

20160629_230755.jpg

20160629_230758.jpg

Last is a queen my buddy caught on saturday, and thought they were C. pennsylvanicus considering the 4 queens he found surrounding the colony. He split the brood and workers up into two containers and put 2 c.pennsylvanicus queens in each. I told him not to split them up too much or release any since he might release the wrong queen and keep the false. By day 2, he was down to 2 queens, 1 in each container.  I still had not gotten any pictures, just crappy snapchat video of the queens themselves. Well, today he brought them in. First container had a C. pennsylvanicus queen, and lasius workers/brood. Second container had a  queen, lasius workers/brood and their queen! I do believe she is Lasius sp. More then likely Lasius alienus since they’re arboreal. I haven’t had a chance to compare her to my Lasius alienus queen yet.

Sorry for this being a video. She will not stop moving.

4~5mm caught in michigan under bark.

Edited by Loops117, June 30 2016 - 6:29 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 30 2016 - 10:22 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Your video is not playing well for me and I can't see anything, but the two other queens are Lasius umbratus or the look-alike Lasius speculiventris, temporary social parasites of other Lasius. You'll need to get host workers from inside (preferably near brood) another Lasius colony.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 3 2016 - 4:15 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2016 - 11:54 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Lasius neoniger or alienus?

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 3 2016 - 6:10 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Neither have laid a single egg. I gave the first parasitic queen some brood from an alienus colony. She seemed interested.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 3 2016 - 6:46 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

In my experience, brood is not enough, and they won't practice brood care or open up cocoons unless they already have host workers.

Even after they have a host colony, it usually takes a week or two before the queen will start laying.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 3 2016 - 6:47 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:10 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Agreed first two Lasius umbratus, I didn't see a queen in the Video only what looks like Lasius neoniger workers.

I have had success with introducing two workers and some cocoons, I now have a Lasius umbratus queen with eggs and the neoniger workers feeding her. It took about 1 1/2 weeks, for them to get comfortable. Try to get the smaller more docile workers.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 4 2016 - 7:21 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I do see now what appears to be a Lasius alienus queen in the video, trying to climb up the side of the container on the right.

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users