• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When they stop foraging ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 23 2016 - 3:38 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

So I believe that I'm noticing a pattern with my colonies and I just wanted to confirm it with other ant keepers.  More specifically, it seems that my colonies forage more when they're lacking something.  For example, I had a colony that I had taken out of hibernation and had forgotten to feed.  When I left the container open for the first time, virtually every ant was out outside the tube (presumably looking for resources in desperation).  After a few hours of being well fed, they have since foraged very little.  Conversely, when a colony is well fed and has plenty of resources, they seem to expend very little effort in acquiring more.  So, that said, is this simply a correlation, or can I take this one step further and judge whether or not it's time to feed my ants based on the number of ants out foraging?

• drtrmiller likes this
~Dan

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 4:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wouldn't be a bad assumption. I can tell when my large colonies are not happy with something, or are lacking something, because they are streaming up the sides of their out worlds.

• drtrmiller likes this

#3 Offline prettycode - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:25 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
My ants spend more time in the outworld/less time in the nest when:

* They're seeking water/humidity
* They're seeking food
* They're uncovered/not in the dark

The last point is a little interesting to me. When I put a red filter over a nest, they'll spend waaay more time in the nest--way less time roaming about. They all just sit around, mostly doing nothing, when I cover the nest with a red filter. I use this as a pacifier/stress reducer when I clean the outworld, put food into the outworld, or hydrate the outworld or nest.

Edited by prettycode, June 24 2016 - 7:26 AM.

#4 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:45 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I think Drew hit the nail on the head.  My colonies literally start climbing the foraging areas and nests when they need something. Its usually water.  I always have feeders available but sometimes I just squire 3-6mm of water directly into the foraging area and nest nd they settle down and I have huge numbers drinking.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users