• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aquarium Sand

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:09 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Hello,

Wondering if Aquarium sand is ok to use?  I just want to put a little in test tube for some of my queens.  Will that be fine?

Thank you

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:38 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I think any kind of sand is fine, I prefer to use natural sand from the ants location but before use I use an aluminum pie pan and cover with aluminum and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes remove stir and bake another 10 minutes to kill any bacteria, mites etc that could be harmful for your ants.  I often use the white ant sand you can buy online at ebay.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:54 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I think any kind of sand is fine, I prefer to use natural sand from the ants location but before use I use an aluminum pie pan and cover with aluminum and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes remove stir and bake another 10 minutes to kill any bacteria, mites etc that could be harmful for your ants.  I often use the white ant sand you can buy online at ebay.

Thank you. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 7 2016 - 8:47 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Make sure it doesn't have added calcium or something or whatever. It should be just pure sand. Even playbox sand should work, but you might want to cook that to sanitize it too.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 5:47 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So.....I could just go to Home Depot and pick up a bag of this stuff and bake it in my oven.....my dirty..smelling like pizza oven.....Well...I'd rather kill and sanitize the sand. They will just become Pizza Smelling Ants! 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:32 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Yup. It may have a more varied grain size than aquarium sand, but it's all natural sand, nothing added. 

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 8:34 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

that's great! Glad to know as I'll probably use a sand variety in three of my tanks I'm working on right now. Four taken care of...Five more to go..

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users