• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help finding new species

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 11 2016 - 7:37 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I want to try to find a few different species of ant that I have never kept before. I have found Camponotus, Lasius, Formica, and brachymyrmex. But these are simple to find where I am located. I want to go on a hunt tomorrow and would like to know of any other species in Canada that would be in N.S. and in what types of habitat to look for them.

Could I find these species are in Nova Scotia?

Monomorium pharaonis, Tetramorium caespitum, Tapinoma sessile, Linepithema humile, Solenopsis molesta.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 11 2016 - 10:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I can't even imagine being on the hunt for Linepithema humile. :lol:

• Subverted likes this

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 11 2016 - 11:20 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm from Maine, which isn't too far away. There's a very very slim chance of finding Monomorium pharaonis or Linepithema, as these populations would exist in isolation -- it's too cold for wild populations (thank goodness.)

Tetramorium flew late last month, but there's a chance to find them  in June/July. They don't like very cold winters, and there were places in Maine where they didn't seem to be present.

Tapinoma sessile should be flying in late June and July. I tried founding a 3-queen colony because this species is described as polygynous, but the other two queens were killed off after the first workers.

I frankly have trouble finding Solenopsis molesta queens in Maine. I see colonies from time to time, but only closer to New Hampshire. I am on the lookout for this species as well, and will let you know when/if I find one in Portland.

Ponera pennsylvanica might be a cool species to look out for during the big Lasius neoniger/flavus/umbratus flights in August and September. It can be a challenging species to found a colony, as it doesn't seem to be very good at doing so alone and is monogynous. I find that they are so terrible at fighting that I was able to put a worker from a foreign colony in a test tube full of dirt (where the queen was already settled in.) They "fought" off and on for a month and then joined up. Sadly, the queen was unfertilized. Stigmatomma has been found in Maine as well, around that time, but I have not found one.

Dolichoderus plagiatus is a very interesting species to look out for. I've only found one queen at around this time of year. They are small and look like Myrmica workers with the gaster of a Camponotus minor.

Aphaenogaster can be found in June and July near forest habitats.

Most of the other myrmicines seem to fly in late summer, around August. You can also sometimes find foraging queens in the spring and early summer.

You could always try your hand at the many social parasites that exist in our area, from Formica or Lasius specifically (there are some Myrmica social parasites I haven't tried yet.) Lasius umbratus queens from last year should still be walking around the forests looking for an opportune colony.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 11 2016 - 11:23 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 11 2016 - 12:18 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I found 3 Lasius unbratus, but they all died within a week. Do I have to take brood from other colonies to found these queens?

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 11 2016 - 6:29 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I haven't been keeping up with other people's techniques with this species, but in my experience, a Lasius umbratus queen will not interact with with brood unless she has host workers, which she requires. If you take Lasius pupae with a several or so workers, wait for them to eclose, and give the young workers to the queen, you have a pretty risk-free adoption method.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 23 2016 - 3:08 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I found a Tapinoma sessile dealate in the woods yesterday.  :)

Also, I spotted some Solenopsis molesta workers, so there's a good chance I'll stumble across a queen or two whenever their time is going to be.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 23 2016 - 3:28 PM.

----

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:13 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I found a Tapinoma sessile dealate in the woods yesterday.  :)

Also, I spotted some Solenopsis molesta workers, so there's a good chance I'll stumble across a queen or two whenever their time is going to be.

I found a massive Solenopsis molesta colony in my yard yesterday. They had tons of alate pupae and a few freshly eclosed alates, I would expect them to be flying in the next couple of weeks.

• Batspiderfish likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

1 user(s) are reading this topic