• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus queen sits at entrance of nest

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline altmoola - Posted June 24 2016 - 10:03 AM

altmoola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I'm noticing some interesting behavior for my Camponotus queen and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what is going on. Basically the queen sits near the entrance of the nest and does nothing. Anyone have an idea of what's going on? She has been given water and some honey which she ate most of.

I think she is either camponotus pennsylvanicus or camponotus herculeanus.

Edited by altmoola, June 24 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 24 2016 - 10:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

So by "given water," do you mean the nest site is hydrated, or that she has drinkable water?

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 24 2016 - 11:00 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline altmoola - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:34 AM

altmoola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Both

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:38 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I can only really assume at this point that she doesn't like something about the nest. This doesn't mean the colony won't like it in the future, but queens can be pretty picky sometimes. I would recommend taping a test tube setup to that side, near the entrance, and seeing if she likes that. I typically let my colonies begin inside test tubes, and allow them to move into the main formicarium whenever they are ready.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 24 2016 - 11:40 AM.

• dermy likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline prettycode - Posted June 25 2016 - 6:07 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

My first Camponotus. queen ever did this. After catching her, I put her into a Tar Heels Type I formicarium that I believe--in retrospect--was too large. She sat in the nest hole entrance for three or four days, then I found her in the outworld area dead.

• drtrmiller likes this

#6 Offline altmoola - Posted June 26 2016 - 9:42 AM

altmoola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I've transferred her into a test tube setup. She now just seems to want to escape, biting at the rubber stopper constantly (yes there is an air hole). What have people kept camponotus queens in where they were content?

#7 Offline Subverted - Posted June 26 2016 - 10:36 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Swap out the rubber stopper with some cotton. Enough that its snug but not enough that you have to really work to fit it in the open end of the tube. The queen should settle down after a few days.

I think the hole in the rubber stopper is what has your queen trying to escape.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users