• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Device for capturing queens?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:12 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I find that capturing queens on pavement can be cumbersome and sometimes frustrating.  I was wondering if any of you have an easier way of doing it.  I typically use a piece of paper and hope that the queen walks onto it, a which point I can usually maneuver the queen into a prepared container, but I sometimes fail.  Do you folks do something similar?

I thought about maybe using a flower watering container with a small 2-inch hole cut into the bottom so that I can put the container over the queen and then literally pour her into a container.  I have no idea if it will work or not though.  Alternatively, I have a 3D printer and so I could design and print something if that's any more convenient.  Anyway, I'm just looking to see what you folks have to say on the subject.

~Dan

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:23 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Look up an aspirator. I use one, and it's an absolute life saver. I safely collect whole entire colonies without the risk of hurting them.

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:57 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Also, really easy to make. I use spaghetti jars so i can easily swap out new jars and cap up caught queens or colonies...If youre only concerned about collecting queens, then a baby food jar would work.

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted June 19 2016 - 9:00 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Look up an aspirator. I use one, and it's an absolute life saver. I safely collect whole entire colonies without the risk of hurting them.

Just don't use those on formicines.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 19 2016 - 10:43 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Just don't use those on formicines.

Why not? It only kills the taste buds for an hour or so.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 19 2016 - 12:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just dont use those on formicines.

Big formicines.

@Works4TheGood

I just put the container over the queen and wait for it to climb up the side. Once it does, flip it over and put the lid on.

#7 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 19 2016 - 2:32 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Maybe I'm not patient enough but I always put a container over them. (Clear plastic film vials). They never seem to climb up. I always have to coax them on a leaf then to vial. Or on my hand.

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 19 2016 - 6:34 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Drew, what kind of container do you use?

Also, what's the difference between a booger aspirator for babies and an insect aspirator?
~Dan

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 19 2016 - 6:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

http://www.walmart.c...-x-5.3/39535151

Also, what's the difference between a booger aspirator for babies and an insect aspirator?

Have you ever looked at them?

#10 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 19 2016 - 8:33 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Those are almost exactly what i use. 8pack for $1 at the dollar store.

Also, are there any risks in using an aspirator for larger formicines? Should i be careful on what I'm inhaling?

#11 Offline Subverted - Posted June 19 2016 - 9:33 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Also, are there any risks in using an aspirator for larger formicines? Should i be careful on what I'm inhaling?

My best advice is to take a large Camponotus worker and hold it between your fingertips...then inhale deeply smelling those. You will understand all you need to know :lol:

• LC3 likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#12 Offline camtheecologist - Posted June 19 2016 - 10:40 PM

camtheecologist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Those are almost exactly what i use. 8pack for $1 at the dollar store.

Many Formicines exude formic acid as a defense mechanism when alarmed, and getting a lungful from a larger species is very unpleasant. In large amounts, formic acid vapor can cause irritation and some other nasty side effects, but the amount of exposure you get from casual anting shouldn't ever cause you any grief, other than occasionally being caught off guard.

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted June 19 2016 - 11:46 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
There is also a problem where they nuke themselves. Aka drown themselves in their own acid, it happens quite easily in a closed space while they're threatened.

#14 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 20 2016 - 4:07 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Ok, then i know exactly what you're talking about. I've only had the experience of collecting arboreal ants in this.(camponotus, crematogaster, and aphaenogaster). The two c.pennsylvanicus colonies had muh throat buzzin for about 15 mins, till i took a swig of water. If the slight irritation is my only concern, then i won't worry too much. Also, i've built inline filters since then. No more acid mouth.

#15 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 20 2016 - 10:03 AM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Where can I buy an aspirator?

#16 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted June 20 2016 - 10:23 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

Bioquip has one that is kinda like the standard. https://www.bioquip....p?itemnum=1135A

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#17 Offline yen_saw - Posted June 20 2016 - 10:36 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Back in 2009 i saw an aspirator that works by exhaling, so no risk of filling your lung with acids.

#18 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 20 2016 - 10:42 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Where can I buy an aspirator?

Make your own, save money. Spaghetti sauce jars are what i use. I tapped two holes in one lid. Two tubes, 1 in, 1 out. And once i collect, i pull the aspirator lid off and put a solid/perforated lid on. Then put a new jar on my aspirator.

Also, the collection tubes i've seen on that site are -1ft in length. Mine is 4ft, with a 4ft suck tube. The jar sits in my backpack so it stays dark and doesn't fumble around while collecting, and your hands remain free. I look something similar to a Ghost Buster. It works amazingly, and i never have an issue. No deaths from such a long tube either.

Edited by Loops117, June 20 2016 - 10:54 AM.

• Works4TheGood and MrmrGatlin like this

#19 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted June 20 2016 - 10:52 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

I would honestly make my own how Loops has instructed. Who doesn't have an almost empty or expired jar bangin around the fridge? You can get vinyl tubing from pretty much any hardware store for cheap if you don't have some kind of tube that you can recycle. I've also seen DIY versions just using bendy straws lol

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#20 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 20 2016 - 11:13 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I am not a fan of aspirators at all.  I just use a large acrylic box (as big as you can hold in one hand) and something soft to direct the queen (Popsicle stick, light brush).  Absolutely simple to direct the queen into the box.  Once she's in I hold the box at an angle so that she's in a corner, put the edge of that corner to the entrance of a test tube and let gravity do the rest.  If I were ambitious, i'd line the corner with fluon, but it hasn't been needed really.  Occasionally a strong climbing species needs a little nudge to get heading towards the test tube.

This method is very fast and only the fastest queens give me trouble, which would be the case with anything.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users