• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Large wood nest MkII

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bcam43 - Posted June 3 2016 - 6:31 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

So we've taken the feedback of a few users and created this.

IMG_6665.jpg?format=2500w

• drtrmiller likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 3 2016 - 7:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I see a reflection on the glass.  You may want to get a polarizing filter for your camera if you're not using one already :)

As always, I love the material design and finish, but I'm not sure how practical these would be in real-world use.

Can't wait for you to show some housing a live colony and attached to a foraging area.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 3 2016 - 7:49 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline DustyDoes - Posted June 3 2016 - 11:14 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

How would you remove the acrylic over the foraging area for feeding and cleaning? Maybe a suction cup handle doodad? I anticipate that it would be pretty easy for foragers to escape if they're out there when the glass comes up. There's a lot of perimeter they can escape from, and a pretty short "home stretch" to freedom from the flat ground up the walls once that glass comes off. Is fluon effective on wood and other porous surfaces? Is the wood permeable enough for whatever air flow and ventilation is necessary for residents?
I love the aesthetic! Can't wait to hear how your colony does when you move them in! I would definitely buy one if it suited a species I started caring for.

Edited by DustyDoes, June 3 2016 - 11:16 PM.

#4 Offline Bcam43 - Posted June 4 2016 - 12:32 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

I see a reflection on the glass.  You may want to get a polarizing filter for your camera if you're not using one already :)

As always, I love the material design and finish, but I'm not sure how practical these would be in real-world use.

Can't wait for you to show some housing a live colony and attached to a foraging area.

Thanks for the feedback Terry.

I agree, it won't be very practical but may give some a better solution to what they're currently housing their wood nesting ants in. We'll keep on thinking of some design ideas that may improve it.

One thing worth mentioning is that this nest has its foraging area around the outside of the internal nest area, so an external outworld isn't required. A hole links the two together. They do have separate acrylic covers as well.

We were looking forward to getting our Monomorium rubriceps colony in this one but they've actually burrowed deep inside the log formicarium we had them housed in.  :facepalm: So it may take awhile. 

I need a serious upgrade with the camera and I'll check out the polarizing filters as well  ;)

B.

#5 Offline Bcam43 - Posted June 4 2016 - 12:35 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

How would you remove the acrylic over the foraging area for feeding and cleaning? Maybe a suction cup handle doodad? I anticipate that it would be pretty easy for foragers to escape if they're out there when the glass comes up. There's a lot of perimeter they can escape from, and a pretty short "home stretch" to freedom from the flat ground up the walls once that glass comes off. Is fluon effective on wood and other porous surfaces? Is the wood permeable enough for whatever air flow and ventilation is necessary for residents?
I love the aesthetic! Can't wait to hear how your colony does when you move them in! I would definitely buy one if it suited a species I started caring for.

Wow, thanks DustyDoes,

Some great points you've raised there. Lots of things for us to consider. I'll be sure to post something once we've run the next version.

Thanks again,

B.

Edited by Bcam43, June 4 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 4:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Very smooth looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users