• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noebl1's Camponotus Americanus (Given away)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 4 2016 - 6:31 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

This as a newbie is my very first colony... so a lot of reading and learning.  Found a queen and five nanitics under a rock while searching for small colonies on 04-17-2016.  I lost one while harvesting them (as in it wandered away), however they overall they weren't super active, so easily to capture in a couple test tubes. There was a clutch of eggs that one of the workers picked up, so was convenient when she walked into the test tube with them.  

aohxagCKmAbqYAN8hGk0GEJ4dVHAEEKV6Tl-Ti6w

I couldn't really find a good way to move them into the test tube with the cotton ball/water, so currently using an Ants Canada Test tube portal, with water on one side, and the ants in the other.  

I covered them initially for the first couple days to let them settle, first big mistake.  When I checked on them, I noticed one of the workers had been eaten (just the gaster), so realized I should have fed them much sooner than I expected. I put in a couple drops of honey, and one of the works went over, gorged itself for a good 15-20 mins, went back and fed the queen, repeated, and this time fed the other workers in the nest.  Was amazing how much their gasters swelled up to translucent.

After the first week all was going well, though noticed seemed like there was one primary worker that would forage, and the other two would guard the eggs.  One ant is almost constantly on top of the eggs, a second ant tending that ant or the queen, and the third forages.  So far they seem most active in the evenings, so observe them around this time of the night doing something (unless they are satisfied... more on that in a moment.)

I noticed after the first week the ant that did the primary foraging would hang out in the other tube, a LOT.  I realized the water wasn't wicking too well thru the cotton ball.  I pushed it in a bit more, she came over, drank, shared it with the colony, and went back to the rest of them and not overly active for a couple days.

After a few days the foraging ant was again hanging out in the other test tube away from the rest.  Another rookie mistake and starting to realize they were indicating something was wrong.  The honey had dried up they were feeding on and lost interest.  Added another piece of honey, she again gorged herself on it, then went back into the other test tube with the rest.

I decided honey wasn't working too well, so ordered some of the ByFormica ant nectar off Amazon.  Nectar arrived over this last weekend, I took a water bottle cap and cut it down and placed it in the middle section of the test tube portal with a few drops of the nectar.  That evening, that same forager gorged herself, then fed the rest.  Also noticed that all of their gasters were very much swollen afterwards, including the queens.  Didn't realize how food deprived that had been when I compared the capture image above, to what they were before I added the nectar.  Last few days they've been pretty fat and not overly active.  Occasionally I catch the queen cleaning herself, etc.  Have not yet feed protein, looking to do that next.

Have been working on designing a simple colony to print out based on some designs I found on Thingaverse inspired by the Ants Canada hybrid nest design.  I still have some time before they are going to be large enough to move in, but don't want to be unprepared, especially as I'm overhauling the printer...

Notice the colony, even when hungry during my mistakes, had been taking meticulous care of their eggs.  Slowly growing larger, but REALLY hard to see as there's constantly someone guarding them at all times.

Edited by noebl1, August 20 2016 - 1:26 PM.

• drtrmiller and AntTeen804 like this

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted May 4 2016 - 7:08 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

have you considered THA modular Talus?  They are reasonably cheap support a small colony up to about 50+ medium sized ants 30+ Large ants with a simple hydration system and its easy to add a foraging area.  I have had great success with the talus modular and the older design which I am not sure you can buy anymore.  The Talus also comes with a microfeeder which I use in all my colonies.  Just something to think about.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 4 2016 - 8:52 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
This is the time of year when they're most in need of insect protein, I would start feeding it ASAP since this is almost certainly a colony that just came out of overwintering and they'll need it to produce eggs and full sized workers

Edited by Runner12, May 4 2016 - 8:53 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 4 2016 - 10:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Nice picture :)

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 5 2016 - 4:22 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@NightsWebs:  I'll check those out, thanks!  Though part of my challenge with this hobby is trying to do a lot of it myself via DIY, however they do look really nice.

@Runner12:  Thanks for the tip!  I'll see about picking up some meal worms from the store today on the way home from work.  I had picked up some of the National Geographic omnivore gel I read from another forum people were substituting for live food with picky ants, http://www.petsmart....2&_t=pfm=search and put a couple in last night before bed to see what happens.  Mostly water, but at least a little protein.

@drtmiller:  Thanks!  Took a TON of shots to try to get that... 

I think I definitely jump started them out of hibernation early compared to the ones still outdoors.  Here in the North East US we had a warmer than average winter, BUT the Spring has been really below normal.  I've seen virtually no camponotus activity in the wild, only Lasius ants seem active at the moment.  We live in the middle of the woods, and camponotus is a serious pest problem (we keep the house exterior treated), and to not see really any activity yet this season is weird.  I *think* I may have seen one foraging on the driveway over the weekend when it was in the 60s, near what is normally a super active colony.  I flipped a rock the other day and stumbled onto a Formica colony, and they literally did NOT move when I flipped the rock. Was holding the rock with hundreds of ants just sitting there fairly motionless, looked really creepy.

#6 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 5 2016 - 7:08 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
What has the temperature been? americanus and castaneus are both nocturnal to my knowledge, mine aren't very active during the day in captivity either, but they're definitely out of hibernation and producing brood. None of my carpenters really take mealworms, if you don't have luck with those try crickets frozen and then crushed or freshly crushed house flies, mine usually take both.

I've never tried the omnivore gel, I feed mine on bugs and formula blue, which apparently is no longer available, which really sucks. I've been experimenting with making my own food for when I run out but they aren't as enthusiastic about it, carpenters have a fairly complicated diet compared to others if you want them to do more than just stay alive unfortunately. For a carb source hummingbird nectar and honey will do, but from all the literature I've read there's something they need that they usually don't get in captivity. Mimicing their diet in the wild as best as possible will usually help

Edited by Runner12, May 5 2016 - 7:19 AM.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 5 2016 - 7:21 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

What has the temperature been? americanus and castaneus are both nocturnal to my knowledge, mine aren't very active during the day in captivity either, but they're definitely out of hibernation and producing brood. None of my carpenters really take mealworms, if you don't have luck with those try crickets frozen and then crushed or freshly crushed house flies, mine usually take both

Good to know, thank you!  I'll see what they have at the pet store tonight. 

Should I be worried they seem to prefer the drier test tube over the one with the cotton ball and water?  I thought the eggs needed higher humidity (especially this is a ground dwelling species.)  I'm currently not heating them yet, room temp is upper 60s to low 70s at this point, but house humidity on average is 40%.

So we've had a few 50-60 (even a couple 70) degree days a couple weeks ago, but lately it's been 40s, maybe low 50s during the day, and 20s/30s at night.  I just checked the monthly history on our weather station, and it has not been above 30s more than a handful of times at night over the last 30 days.  Tomorrow is the first day since Sat to not only have sunshine, but rumor is may hit 60s :)

#8 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 5 2016 - 7:38 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Yeah they're all probably coming out of hibernation with those temps. Early in spring when it first starts to get warm the whole colony will usually come up from deep in the nest to the surface to warm up. Occasionally I'll find an entire big colony Queen and all right under a rock soaking up the heat.

It's up to you whether or not you heat them. Heat speeds up the egg to adult time and makes them more active. As for hydration, I mist mine every other day and I provide them test tubes with stoppered water in them. Mine seem to do fine in a drier test tube, but I give them options so they can move as they see fit. If you do heat them make sure you only heat part of the nest so they have a temperature gradient and they can choose the best location. Start with low heat and work up so you don't flash fry them. (I've done this.) I use a small heat pad and a dimmer you can buy at Lowe's or home depot so you can control how hot it gets. Also be aware you'll have to keep a much closer eye on hydration

Edited by Runner12, May 5 2016 - 7:43 AM.

• noebl1 likes this

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 5 2016 - 8:17 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I did find a long thread from someone on antfarm.yoku.com that kept Americanus and said they liked it super dry.  They found this is the foods they like:

Honey / Water
Maple Syrup / Water
Sugar / Water
Honeydew Melon
Termites
Mealworms 
Fruits
Crickets
Spiders
Flies

Apparently they can be really picky they found...  see how things go.  Can definitely confirm they like anything sugar based  :D  They definitely gobble up the ByFormica Sunburst nectar; I do like the fact that it doesn't dry out like honey.

EDIT:  Really curious when I get home tonight to see if they touched the omnivore gel I put in. 

Edited by noebl1, May 5 2016 - 8:33 AM.

• drtrmiller likes this

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 5 2016 - 1:59 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Tried really really really hard to get a shot of the eggs as they are maturing, but didn't want to disturb them too much, so lighting wasn't the best.  Plus without a tripod, super hard to keep steady when zoomed in this far with lower light... :)

bERZSC

So minor update, last night I put in  6 pieces of the omnivore gel food (each piece is about 2mm in size) that I had found someone using on another forum.  Came home tonight and every piece was gone...  Not sure if it's nutritious enough considering 95% water... for them vs a live insect, but may work in a pinch? 

Ingredients: Water, Sodium Alginate, Dried Carrot, Dried Mealworms, Soy Flour, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Sodium Benzoate (a preservative), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, Added Color (FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #3)

Guaranteed Analysis: Min. Crude Protein 0.62%, Min.Crude Fat 0.31%, Max. Crude Fiber 0.39%, Max. Moisture 95.8%, Min.Calcium 0.36%, Min Vit. D3 0.041 U/kg

Next up see how they do with meal worms.

#11 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 7 2016 - 1:08 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Got first draft of the formicarium I'm looking to print for these when they are ready to move up, currently the inside are is a 3x4" size:

9C6oxf

BBwSDm

Plan is to cover the bottom with a screen mesh, and then raise it up over a water reservoir.  With any luck as I am refurbishing the printer, it will still work in the end  :lol:  They plan is custom slide in doors panels in the 4 openings... so I can close it off, add tubing, or add adapter for test tubes.  Got the idea from here: http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1367219

Still need to fix the levels so the glass will lay flush on the top without any gaps like now, and then add some notches on the front/back so I can remove the glass easily.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 7 2016 - 2:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That thing looks pretty complex.

#13 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 7 2016 - 2:54 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

That thing looks pretty complex.

I'm not very artsy, having a hard time making it not look uniform... and not look like crap ;)  Probably adjust a few times before I actually print.  I may just eliminate some of the chambers and make the remaining ones bigger.

Edited by noebl1, May 7 2016 - 2:55 PM.

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 7 2016 - 3:51 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

A bit simpler design...

uhLiMG

#15 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 8 2016 - 1:20 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Tried proteins...

- Nat Geo Omnivore gel - Loved it, but 95% water and >1% protein, so not overly nutritious

- Chicken we had just cooked, no interest (figured nothing to loose)

- First try with frozen/thawed meal worms last night, no interest

- Second try with frozen/thawed meal worms today, and they are feeding on it now.

Interesting to see the queen SUPER alert right now as one of the nanitics (who's primary focus seems to be the gatherer) is tearing apart the cut up meal worm an inch or so away from her.  Usually during the day she and the ones that tend the brood are pretty much asleep/mellow.  Lot of activity today on the watering test tube as well; more so than normal.  Not sure if activity is food related or weather related, but we had about a week of rain, and front line moving thru as we speak with a warming trend.

EDIT:  Also noticed as they are fat/happy, started actually tending the nest area and keeping it clean over the last week or so.  Initially they didn't seem to care, but then again if nutrient deprived, not too shocked.  

Edited by noebl1, May 8 2016 - 1:22 PM.

#16 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 16 2016 - 9:44 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Larvae seem to be slowly developing and getting larger, I think there's at least 2, but hard to tell as they hold a pretty vigilant guard over them.   Also started playing a bit with a raster drawing app and importing into Tinkercad to give less uniform nest designs:

8dfFBR

#17 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 19 2016 - 1:18 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

5/19/2016

Came home today to find a bit of activity I wasn't expecting.  Last couple days the nanitic who typically does all the foraging was pulling on the cotton swap a lot more than usual.  Should be plenty of water...  Well came home to figure out why.  Their eggs seemed to have reached the larval stage, so overnight moved them all in to the test tube with the water.  First time I've seen all the nanitics in that test that tube besides just the one that typically forages.  Also the first time I've really seen the larva either as they are usually REALLY good at hiding them.  

Edited by noebl1, May 19 2016 - 1:22 PM.

#18 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 20 2016 - 1:24 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

These sorta stalled out, I now regret finding them under a rock as can understand why they say to leaving established ones alone, obviously even a tiny starter one of 4 or 5 ants can have the same issues.  Ended up giving them to another member locally in hopes he can have a bit better luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users