• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating colonies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Senile Santa - Posted May 27 2016 - 8:35 PM

Senile Santa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How would I heat my Acromymex versicolor colony from 75 degrees Fahrenheit to 85? I fear that putting a heat lamp on them will cook them.

Edited by Senile Santa, May 27 2016 - 8:36 PM.

#2 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 27 2016 - 8:46 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I'd use either a heating cable or small heating pad designed for reptiles in combination with a dimmer switch that you can buy at home depot. Start low and work up to where you want to be.

Edited by Runner12, May 27 2016 - 8:47 PM.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 28 2016 - 5:51 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
To be clear, not all dimmer switches will work for 120v heating appliances, but I suppose you could return it if it didn't work for you.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 28 2016 - 5:52 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 28 2016 - 8:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'd use either a heating cable or small heating pad designed for reptiles in combination with a dimmer switch that you can buy at home depot. Start low and work up to where you want to be.

These are in a formicarium with a water tank underneath it. I actually already told him not to put the formicarium on top of any heat source. But putting one of those things inside a small cabinet along with the formicarium would work if the specs are right.

@Senile Santa

Like I was telling you, a 60 watt bulb shining onto the out world would be fine. Just make sure it's not too close.

I wouldn't be too worried about trying this, because It would probably have to be pretty close to heat it up enough to damage the fungus in the chamber below the out world. At that distance, it would probably be hot enough to cook any ants under the light as well. Even in that situation, the ants are at least "smart" enough to not stand directly under a light that hot, and will move to a cooler location.

#5 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 28 2016 - 9:11 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Ah OK, yeah then definitely don't put those near water

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users