• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odd behavior

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 17 2016 - 12:13 AM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just found what I think is a stray camponotus worker wondering around at 1am with a large larvae. I have no idea why he was all alone but I took him home and cooled him and one of my new queens and put them together and they seem friendly and one of them fed the other (I saw liquid transfer but I donno to whom it was given)

#2 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 17 2016 - 8:10 AM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
These are the photos

Attached Images

• IMAG1192_1.jpg
  • IMAG1194_1.jpg

#3 Offline i2chip - Posted May 17 2016 - 10:20 AM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

If this were my queen I would get that worker out of there. I'm not an expert but the wild ant may not accept that queen and may attack/kill your queen. Even though you say they seem friendly, I wouldn't risk it.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#4 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 17 2016 - 12:54 PM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
They both survived over night and I have had another queen take a wild worker and they are still cohabiting well after a week. I just cool them both in the fridge and put them together and keep them chilled for 5-10 min

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 17 2016 - 2:27 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

It is a common phenomenon in Camponotus where a worker will accept a new queen. There is no reason to worry, especially because the worker will make the queen's life a ton easier.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline Typo--29 - Posted May 17 2016 - 8:32 PM

Typo--29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The main thing I was trying to figure out was why he was wondering all alone in the middle of the night (1am) with a larva

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 16 2016 - 4:31 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

The main thing I was trying to figure out was why you were wondering all alone in the middle of the night (1am) :D

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 16 2016 - 6:30 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It sounds like the larva was being transferred to a satellite nest.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users