• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is that?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rattus - Posted May 7 2016 - 6:14 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Hi!

Today, looking at my Messor sp.(cf. wasmanni) arena, I encountered something different, and I wonder - what the hell is that?
Has anyone a clue for this?
Brownliquid.jpg
Looks like a brownish liquid that has evaporated.

Bonus observation: While pouring some water on one of my soil nests(I have only soil nests :D), I discovered that my Lasius sp. queen, which I caught last august, has eaten only one wing, the other one was burried near the surface.

Wing_1.jpg

Wing_2.jpg

Rattus

#2 Offline antmaniac - Posted May 7 2016 - 6:52 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Could it be the inside of an insect such as spider or mosquito? Or the ant's waste, but it wouldn't be that much though. Otherwise could be colouring of something mixed with water.

#3 Offline Rattus - Posted May 7 2016 - 7:04 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Could it be the inside of an insect such as spider or mosquito? Or the ant's waste, but it wouldn't be that much though. Otherwise could be colouring of something mixed with water.

There were no insects offered and no additional water placed in there apart from the water they can get from their test tube.

Edited by Rattus, May 7 2016 - 8:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users