• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium Question

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted April 27 2016 - 6:56 AM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
What material would I need to make the following Formicarium? I was curious on what would be safe for the ants. I read an article written on here about using a grout Formicarium. Wasn't sure on what specific brand or material to use :) I really liked this set up.

Attached Images

• image.png
  • image.png
  • image.png

#2 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted April 27 2016 - 12:46 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Tried getting ahold of the poster who built this and posted it here but no response.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted April 27 2016 - 1:33 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I remember those from the Pictures of Formicariums thread.  If I recall correctly, he used either hydrostone or grout.  Used clay to form the tunnels and sprinkled aquarium gravel on top.

You would stick clay to the side of the container, pour the medium.  Once cured, pull it out, remove the clay and slide it back in.  Similar to my grout tutorials.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted April 27 2016 - 6:23 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Awesome thank you again Crystals! Will double check on your page and take some notes. I feel there are plenty of great formicariums out there to purchase but I am kinda tight on cash at the moment and looking for ones I could make for less. Thank you again :)

Edited by Adventurer390, April 29 2016 - 7:17 AM.

#5 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 8 2016 - 10:33 AM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
Those containers are from Walmart in the kitchen container section. I have the same ones, I picked em because they were very very, clear.
  • Crystals likes this

IMHO of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users