• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Funniest reaction people have had to your pets (not just ants)?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 11 2016 - 4:09 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I could only find two pencil lead boxes so I only got 4
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#22 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 11 2016 - 6:57 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

man, that sucks :(

#23 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 12 2016 - 5:15 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

When my grandmother seen my seen my meal worms, she screamed at the top of her lungs. I didn't know she was scared to death of worms lol

I also had a friend ask me if I have ever eaten my ants, and what do they taste like.

Edited by AntsMAN, July 12 2016 - 5:15 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#24 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 12 2016 - 9:52 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

When my grandmother seen my seen my meal worms, she screamed at the top of her lungs. I didn't know she was scared to death of worms lol

I also had a friend ask me if I have ever eaten my ants, and what do they taste like.

When I was younger, and new to ants. I kept Argentine ants (because it was only ant around, and I was young. They were terrible ant farm ants, always escaping and I didn't know proper barriers). Some would get in my mouth somehow, not sure how. I do know they'd be climbing all over me. Well, they tasted really sour and gross...like cleaning liquid had gone in my mouth. 

Not sure if every ant tastes like that, but that was my experience with Argentine ants. :P Never had that "problem" when I got older, when I got better at collecting (and keeping) ants. 

Actually wait. I had Solenopsis invicta in my mouth a couple times, and they'd bite me all over (I was really young still). They tasted like Argentine ants.

Edited by Vendayn, July 12 2016 - 9:53 PM.

#25 Offline Bryansant - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:33 PM

Bryansant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I went anting a couple weeks ago, on a sweltering day in Texas (that's every day recently!), at a local park with a frisbee-golf course. Spent most my time on overgrown trails along the periphery but heading back to my car I walked down one of the trails connecting two tee-offs. Three guys started down the trail as I was overturning some rocks and logs in the side brush and naturally asked, "Did you lose a disc?"

I decided to keep it simple, "No, I'm looking for bugs."

The younger two stopped in their tracks. "You're looking for buds?"

"Haha. No.. Looking for bugs."

"Oh..." 

They kept walking.

As they left, the older gent asked, bemused, "What kind of bugs?"

"Ants."

"Oh..."

...and kept walking.

Edited by Bryansant, July 13 2016 - 7:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users