• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How can I design a test tube entrance so ants get out, but not the queen?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 13 2016 - 12:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I was hoping my Pheidole megacephala colony would stay in the test tube, but they moved under a small rock. The entire formicarium is really dry (literally bone dry, the dirt is literally like dust). Only wet area is the test tube. Which I'm surprised they moved to such a dry area, seeing that they are more of a tropical species and not so much a dry climate species. The formicarium is just a small plastic aquarium, and it works well enough. Except at one point my colony size shrunk a lot, so I got more ants and alate brood from a nearby colony and it brought a bunch of dirt with them. But, I was hoping because of how dry the dirt is, they would stay in the test tube...but nope...they decided to move into the bone dry dirt.

Is there a way I can move the queen into the test tube, and have her not get out? So only the soldiers and workers can get in/out of it? I have seen this done, but not sure how to go about making something like that or what materials to use. I'm sure it is simple, but no idea what to use for something like that.

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted April 13 2016 - 1:20 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

If you carefully cut up sections of vinyl tubing you can make plugs that have a very small hole in them. I stack a section of 1/4" tubing inside a regular piece of 1/4" tubing (remove about 1/3rd of the tube's circumference) then that into some 3/8", the 3/8" into 1/2" tubing which generally fits into tubes just perfectly.

Sometimes it needs a strip of packing tape added to the outer circumference to achieve a tight fit.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 13 2016 - 2:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

We have vinyl tubing somewhere, but couldn't find any at all. Dad ended up having an idea of using a small rubber insert, that has a hole big enough for the workers and soldiers, but not the queen. It should work a lot better, and they can still forage in the aquarium.

They also have three queens, not one like I previously thought. So, that is good. Don't think from the alate brood, because they didn't have wings. And, I do remember getting quite a large colony the other day, so I probably picked up extra queens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users