• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Semi-claustral founding setups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Del - Posted April 4 2016 - 5:33 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Hi all, this is the first of a couple of questions I'll be posting on here.

The other day I caught a couple of Polyrhachis queens which I am pretty sure are semi-claustral. How do folks usually build founding setups for these girls? So far I have a normal test tube setup with a layer of plasticine covering the entrance in which I have poked a small hole for her to enter/exit. This test tube is placed into a larger acrylic box to which I have added a drop of honey, a dead mosquito and a small amount of soil substrate. However both queens immediately left the test tube, and spend their time sitting in the corner of the box doing nothing. They have ignored the food, too.

Any ideas what might be causing them not to to settle?

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted April 4 2016 - 7:34 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I think that blocking it off until they have their first workers is best, only unplugging to feed them perhaps once a day. Even after, I would wait until they have 5-10 workers to unblock it. That's how I treat semi-claustral queens anyways.

Edited by Shaye, April 4 2016 - 7:35 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline Del - Posted April 4 2016 - 8:53 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Oh, so you keep them in a test tube setup like claustral species? 

#4 Offline Mads - Posted April 4 2016 - 8:56 PM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

Yes, but rather than let them forage, you feed them in their test tube or whatever you house them in. It accomplishes the same thing, but they are still contained and less likely to dehydrate.

Mads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users