• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants flying soon?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZaneMazwellRussell - Posted March 18 2016 - 12:31 PM

ZaneMazwellRussell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMichigan, Monroe
So it's March 18th here in Michigan and it warming up really fast. Surprisingly fast, and I would know because it's usually freezing at this time of year because I run track but I have a question. Today I came home to a bunch of swarms of mosquitos mating in my back yard. Is that a good sign that ants will fly soon? I'm super excited because I have a great set up ready for ants! I have a hybrid nest from ants Canada as well as 2 ants Canada portals and a self made out world including an Ants Canada test tube rack. I'll post pictures because I like sharing stuff on this forum. Thanks for anyone who answers my question. I'm still kinda new at this :)

-A man can always change his stars-

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 18 2016 - 12:49 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Prenolepis imparis and possibly brachymyrmex flew in the Chicago land area. I saw a tiny amount of Prenolepis imparis alates at my school. This was a couple weeks ago and I'm not sure if anything is flying currently.

Edited by Mdrogun, March 18 2016 - 12:49 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline ZaneMazwellRussell - Posted March 18 2016 - 2:25 PM

ZaneMazwellRussell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So now I need help, I just dug up a super small colonie of ants. The hill was all by itself and wasn't that deep and it had no other tunnels leading down or in any direction, it was in a damp sand and it had about 9 ants in it all grouped together. They were in the process of digging and like I said they were all clumped together. I'll post pictures soon to identify a species and see if someone can identify if one is a queen.

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 18 2016 - 3:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

So now I need help, I just dug up a super small colonie of ants. The hill was all by itself and wasn't that deep and it had no other tunnels leading down or in any direction, it was in a damp sand and it had about 9 ants in it all grouped together. They were in the process of digging and like I said they were all clumped together. I'll post pictures soon to identify a species and see if someone can identify if one is a queen.

I can easily identify if you caught a queen or not.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline ZaneMazwellRussell - Posted March 19 2016 - 4:15 AM

ZaneMazwellRussell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So bad news, I guess none of them were queens because they all died last night. They had plenty of airflow and water because they were attached to an ants Canada portal but oh well, but I've have good news! I've been noticing that colonies are waking up and hopefully some will fly soon. I've seen ants on the surface of their little hills and next to my house I seen a Tetramorium war between two colonies. So I hope that is a good sign right?

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 19 2016 - 9:14 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

So bad news, I guess none of them were queens because they all died last night. They had plenty of airflow and water because they were attached to an ants Canada portal but oh well, but I've have good news! I've been noticing that colonies are waking up and hopefully some will fly soon. I've seen ants on the surface of their little hills and next to my house I seen a Tetramorium war between two colonies. So I hope that is a good sign right?

Just because they all died doesn't mean none of them were queens. The Tetramorium have nuptial flights a lot and release a lot of queens. I have a mature Tetramorium colony on my property and I found queens all throughout the summer and late spring.

Edited by Mdrogun, March 19 2016 - 9:16 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 8 2016 - 7:58 AM

Loops117