• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New to all of this and wondering whens the best time to look for queens??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline txboi2583 - Posted February 29 2016 - 7:40 PM

txboi2583

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRichardson, Tx

Hi I'm a complete newbie to all of this and was wounder when i should start to look for queens and when i should look for them I live in the Dallas area I've already read about where to look for queens on this forum and have purchased a founding formicaria from tarheelants and any other advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated  :)

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted February 29 2016 - 8:29 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

It actually depends on the species do you have any ideas of the ants in your area?  There is also a nuptial flight chart in the forum all you have to do is search for it.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 1 2016 - 4:36 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Hi I'm a complete newbie to all of this and was wounder when i should start to look for queens and when i should look for them I live in the Dallas area I've already read about where to look for queens on this forum and have purchased a founding formicaria from tarheelants and any other advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated  :)

Nuptial flights are probably going to start very, very soon if they haven't started already. I would recommend going on walks in a nature preserve or somewhere in nature that has a cement path. Keep your eyes on the ground for anything that you think might be a queen. If you think you see one put her in a plastic container and post a picture on the forum so we can you tell whether or not it is a queen. You are going to have a difficult time finding queens. When I began I would spend hours and hours walking on paths and wouldn't find anything. You have to almost train your eyes to spot queens. You are probably going to find a lot of Solenopsis invicta queens as well as they seem to be pretty prevalent in Texas from what I understand. Anyways, good luck if you have any more questions just ask.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline txboi2583 - Posted March 1 2016 - 6:46 AM

txboi2583

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRichardson, Tx

Do yall think its to late to find queens? Here in Dallas we really didn't have a winter. Also I've read that queens go on nuptial flights after it has rained is that the only trigger for nuptial flights? 

Edited by txboi2583, March 1 2016 - 6:47 AM.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted March 1 2016 - 9:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Certain species tend to fly in certain months, regardless of location. 

Here is the mating chart - http://www.formicult...t-mating-chart/

Here is a list of ants known to be in Texas - https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true

Open up both and see which are in your area, and then see when they fly.  You may want to take notes for easy referral.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline txboi2583 - Posted March 1 2016 - 11:19 AM

txboi2583

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRichardson, Tx
Thanks guys for the info it will definitely help but still wondering if rain is the only trigger for nuptial flights

Edited by txboi2583, March 1 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 1 2016 - 12:37 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Rain is not the only trigger. For example, Prenolepis imparis will fly on the first day over 70 degrees. Temperature, wind speeds, rain, moisture and more.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted March 1 2016 - 12:56 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Rain is more of trigger for many species in a dry desert environment.

In a location like the boreal forest -  heat, humidity, and pressure fronts seem to dictate flight times.

For non-desert species, there also seems to be wider trigger as well, since many people report the same species flying on the same day despite being thousands of miles apart.  Lasius neoniger for example, seems to fly across Canada and many places in the USA on the same few days.

Some species may have multiple flights throughout the year, such as Tapinoma sessile.  This is more common in non-ideal conditions when a few alates decide to attempt the flight while others in the nest wait for another day or have not all eclosed yet.

Late June/early July always seem to be pretty slow as overwintered alates have flown and this seasons alates have not yet eclosed.  Some species and some seasons make exceptions however.

Keep in mind that ants don't read these forums, and occasionally decide to set their own rules.  Be prepared to be surprised regardless of how long you have been anting.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline txboi2583 - Posted March 1 2016 - 1:38 PM

txboi2583

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRichardson, Tx
Thank you so much crystals that was the information I was looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users