• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Camponotus pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline olookitsme - Posted September 15 2021 - 2:25 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

How would I move a queen and her broo without harming them and efficiently?

Two ways I can think of. If you have mini outworlds to connect 2 test tubes to. That would be the safest. You just keep the old nesting testtube in the light while making the new test tube dark, they should eventually make the move on their own and bring allbtheir brood with. But that can take days or so. The other way is while holding the two test tubes together you very carefully tap all the ants and brood not sticking to a surface into the new one, this way is really annoying and if your clumbsy like me.. You can hurt or even kill workers or the queen by pinching them between the two test tubes. After that youvwill need a wet cotton swab or a toothpick and every so gently try to manually transfer eggs. Hopefully you already got this figured out before me showing up or hopefully it helps you

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#22 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 14 2022 - 7:06 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I think mine just got from alate to pupa phase in a few weeks. How is she growing so fast
I think mine just got from alate to pupa phase in a few weeks. How is she growing so fast dude

#23 Offline QuietWind01 - Posted February 22 2023 - 7:12 PM

QuietWind01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

I think mine just got from alate to pupa phase in a few weeks. How is she growing so fast
I think mine just got from alate to pupa phase in a few weeks. How is she growing so fast dude

Are you sure what you have is even camponotus and not something like formica which, to the untrained eye, might look like camponotus? Camponotus simply do not grow that fast, period. Unless you mean egg to larve? Considering you said "alate to pupae" which doesn't even make any sense I would assume you mean "egg to larvae" which would make more sense, as a couple weeks is typically how long a C. pennsylvanicus egg takes to develop into larvae. FYI, alates are male/female sexuals, so saying "alate to pupae" literally makes zero sense whatsoever

#24 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 23 2023 - 6:37 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Are you sure what you have is even camponotus and not something like formica which, to the untrained eye, might look like camponotus? Camponotus simply do not grow that fast, period. Unless you mean egg to larve? Considering you said "alate to pupae" which doesn't even make any sense I would assume you mean "egg to larvae" which would make more sense, as a couple weeks is typically how long a C. pennsylvanicus egg takes to develop into larvae. FYI, alates are male/female sexuals, so saying "alate to pupae" literally makes zero sense whatsoever

This guy was banned almost a year ago. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users