• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can you feed pork to ants?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants Latvia - Posted October 21 2016 - 4:54 AM

Ants Latvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLatvia

Can you feed pork to ants?

A fellow ant keeper from YouTube

#2 Offline Reacker - Posted October 21 2016 - 10:34 AM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Yes.

A good general principle is that ants can usually eat what you eat. If you're worried about pesticides or toxicity then get a bunch of random workers and feed it to them. If they haven't died after a couple days (make sure to have another group of workers in  a separate container that you either don't feed or that you feed something safe like sugar water, and make sure both groups have water of course), then its probably safe to give to your colony. 

Edited by Reacker, October 21 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 21 2016 - 10:55 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
You really should find out what religion they practice, if any, before serving pork. Most ants I've kept happened to be Jewish or Muslim, and wouldn't go anywhere near it.
  • Reacker, gcsnelling, Salmon and 4 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted October 21 2016 - 11:01 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

You can offer ants almost any food that graces your plate.  If they eat it, great.  If not, just remove it after a few hours.

Avoid raw potatoes and onions, they are known to be toxic to some ant species.

Table scraps are not an ideal long term diet, but works well for some variety.  I once had a Crematogaster colony that went nuts over skittles.  Most of my ants love greasy cooked chicken.

Preferred food by species - http://www.formicult...ood-by-species/

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 21 2016 - 1:15 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

You really should find out what religion they practice, if any, before serving pork. Most ants I've kept happened to be Jewish or Muslim, and wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Lmao

YJK

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 21 2016 - 3:21 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

LOL same politically correct thought I had. However there is no reason not to feed it to them if they will eat it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users