• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus pennsylvanicus question?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted October 20 2016 - 8:43 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Hey people, i am going to be hibernating my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony outside like I do with all of my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colonies. However my one queen just has larvae and I believe they have stopped growing in preparation for hibernation. I gave her a spider when she had eggs and she ate the whole thing. But she is looking a little skinny again so I was hoping she would eat the second spider I gave her yesterday. Mind the spider I gave her before was about  2 months ago so she has got to be hungry. However she hasn't touched it. I'll try giving her some honey or sugar water later today, but should I just put her into hibernation in the next three weeks anyway? I have to put this colony out now before it starts to freeze and while the temp is still reasonable, so the temperature drops slowly on her and she will slowly enter hibernation as well.

Thanks, and comments and criticisim appreciated?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 20 2016 - 2:27 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

In my opinion, she will probably be fine. I would just follow your normal routine for hibernating her. She will most likely bounce back in spring. IF she wasn't ready for hibernating, I would expect her to still be much more active and utilize some of the second spider you provided her. Worst comes to worst, she will probably eat some of the inactive larvae to make it through the winter and start producing more brood come spring time.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users