• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can 2 diferent ants species live in same formicarium without any conflict?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted November 14 2015 - 2:11 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

Can 2 diferent ants species live in same formicarium without any conflict?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 14 2015 - 2:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes.

Some ant species live in close proximity to one another in nature, but exploit different environmental niches, and thus rarely come into contact with one another or otherwise conflict.

Meanwhile, other species of ants are brood parasites or scavenge waste from nearby ant colonies.  This is more commonly the case when the size difference between the ant species varies greatly, such that any interaction would simply result in the ants ignoring one another.

I'd be interested to read some scientific articles on these subjects, if anyone has any noteworthy ones to share.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 14 2015 - 2:59 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

There are minuscule ants which can live among other bigger size ants.However, they are often protected by hidden among substrate. Same goes with other soil dwellers, such as springtails. Without protection from substrate, the springtails in my formicarium get chased and hunted by ants, even if the ants don't necessary eat them. 

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted November 14 2015 - 3:08 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Like what everyone else stated above different species may co-exist in peace or with very little conflict but keep in mind that in the wild they get unlimited space to roam which means more food to find and thus less competition. If you plan on putting two species together make sure the outworld is really big and there's lots of resources for them.

#5 Offline Mannomorth - Posted November 24 2015 - 9:33 AM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Was just looking for this and formiculture delivered.

Is there any common sp that could share the same outworld? What size of forage area would you recommend?

I see a problem in if you try to keep the colonies small by not giving them too much protein they might just go attack the other colony, but that's just my own very unscientific theory.

#6 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 24 2015 - 12:31 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Your very unscientic theory is actually quite logical. My Pheidole actually become a lot more aggressive after they have a good number of workers and protein demand is high. Under normal situation, when two colonies with equal balance of defensive and offensive power, less likely raiding would happen. But during desperate times, the ants would seek out every corner to get more foods (hence chewing on plastics to get out etc) and conflicts will happen.

#7 Offline iXvXi - Posted November 24 2015 - 1:26 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
This reminds me of the video I seen on YouTube of an aquarium formicarium.

Granted they're separated by islands but It would be pretty cool to see two colonies coexist.

I would think it would be fine until the size of the established colonies becomes an issue aswell. Like mentioned before, fighting for resources could be pretty problematic.

I would certainly like to see some testing done in this area.
  • Okeedoke22 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users