• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Artificial nests to collect colonies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sehrgut - Posted November 10 2015 - 7:51 PM

sehrgut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA (Georgia), USA

I've been wondering if it would be feasible to place "artificial nests" in the environment (my and my neighbours' yards) to collect nests of difficult-to-notice species. While researching this online, I found a paper where researchers did exactly that.

Colony Structure and Nest Location of Two Species of Dacetine Ants: Pyramica ohioensis (Kennedy & Schramm) and Pyramica rostrata (Emery) in Maryland (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)

They were studying cavity-nesting species, so they made small formicaria which contained two separate nests each, by drilling two holes in pieces of wood for the nest cavity, and connecting each to the edge by an entrance hole. (Both cavity and entrance diameter were controlled variables.) They glued coverslips over each hole, top and bottom, to make enclosed cavities, and then sandwiched the entire thing between other pieces of wood (secured with fishing line) to keep them dark and protect the glass.

They got an 18% colonization rate with nests placed in early spring and collected in late summer. However, I would guess that 18% would be closer to an instantaneous occupancy rate (rather than a peak arrived by slow increase during the spring and summer), since ants do move around. If that assumption is correct, I could increase my success rate significantly by collecting nests every two weeks to check for colonization, and then moving the colonized nests into outworlds if they turned out to be species I was interested in (and leaving them be if not).

Does anyone have experience with this method of collection? Also, would it work for ants that require larger nests (by making multi-chamber formicaria)?

• Myrmicinae likes this

#2 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 10 2015 - 8:49 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

It does not matter what species. The first thing a new queen will do when she landed after mated is to find a nesting place. That is why you can find queens under the rocks and bricks. Sometimes even a founding colony, but eventually they will move away from it. So far sand dune plus bricks on top allowed me to find a number of queens, brick for the hidding spot and sand for easy digging. As for timing, check after the rain usually.

#3 Offline sehrgut - Posted November 10 2015 - 9:46 PM

sehrgut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

That's even simpler! I love the idea. I may start designating "good spots" in my yard now. Do the queens dig claustral chambers using the brick as roof, or how do you know one is under a brick?

#4 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 10 2015 - 10:23 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Unfortunately it is all by random chance. It can be any type of queen. They hide under the brick and digged a chamber in the sand, usually just temporary or for founding stage. The only way to know is to lift up the brick since they are well hidden under it. Also the queen may run away very fast or dig further into the sand when you lift the brick, so fast reaction is needed. This also applies to flower pots, rocks etc

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 10 2015 - 10:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Three things are important to ants when looking for a new home:

Location, location, location.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 10 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• ctantkeeper and LC3 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline sehrgut - Posted November 11 2015 - 1:06 PM

sehrgut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

That's one reason I'm scouting locations now: I assume that places ants like this year will be places other ants might like next year.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 18 2015 - 4:14 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Interesting concept, here's another example:

In a mango plantation in the Parakou area (09° 37’01”N/02° 67’ 08”E) of Benin 54 O. longinoda queens were collected after their nuptial flight with the use of artificial nests during the wet season in 2012. Artificial nests were made on 15 mango trees by rolling a single leaf together, fixing it with a plastic ring (1.3 cm in diameter) in the middle part and sealing the tip end with a paper clip. Nests were colonized by founding queens right after their nuptial flight as they constitute safe nesting sites (J. Offenberg, unpublished data).

http://periodicos.ue...le/view/183/337

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#8 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 18 2015 - 5:51 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

That's one reason I'm scouting locations now: I assume that places ants like this year will be places other ants might like next year.

You would be surprised that they may locate in unfavourable places. During the rain, some area (sand etc) may appear to be good location, but once the sun come out and dry out that area, you may see the queen abandon that location. In addition, the queen may have escapped to that area from other ants in first place, as there are less ants in those area due to lack of food source. This is the same with earth worms, hence you often find them dry out and die on sunny days after rain. Sometimes the queen may able to stay long enough to establish a founding colony, but they will relocate to a better location. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users