• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Room temperature?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Slimjim - Posted November 6 2015 - 8:24 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando Florida
Hi,
Thanks for looking,
I am just getting started and am not sure what's is a happy temperature for ant So?
I am raising Camponotus floridanus and Messer Ebeninus,Both are young colonies no more than 20 workers for the Messer and maybe 10 for the camponotus.
The camps are in a wooden Formicarium and the Messer are in a Plaster .
No mold problems as of yet. The Out worlds are modeled after Crystals you tube video.
They are now in a room that is 85 degrees Fahrenheit,give or take 10 degrees.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kindly,
Slimjim
J.R

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 6 2015 - 9:18 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
That's very warm, and definitely shouldn't be any warmer.

Ideally, you want some variation or gradiation in temperature and humidity, so ants can choose the optimal section for brood development.

Exotherms like ants also require a defined temperature range for gut bacteria to process nutrients from foods, and ants will exhibit erratic and unusual behaviors if the temperature falls outside this range for an extended period.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 6 2015 - 9:18 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Slimjim - Posted November 6 2015 - 11:38 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando Florida
Thanks for the quick reply!
I was thinking that may be a little warm for them but wasn't sure.
My next room option stays around 72 to 76ish, Would that be a better location( temperature wise)
The room is a living room that gets some traffic but not as much as our family room.
Also,Is it best to keep light on out the world in the day and off at night?
The messers don't seem to mind the light but the camponotus are very light squeamish.
They are also not very food aggressive yet.I have been offering cut up meal worms and a drop of honey on a corn flake.
A couple sections of the worms have been taken into nest, but the honey I am not so sure, I can't tell as it soaks into the flake.
Thanks,
J.R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users