• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New colonies - Very Little Activity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 13 2015 - 2:15 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I have 4 new colonies. Each one is in a test tube, which is inside of a Tupperware container. I've noticing very little activity occurring outside of their test tubes. It seems unusual when I see any ant at all outside their tubes. Is this because the temp is now 70F? Or is this because the colonies are less than 20 ants? Or is this because they currently have all the resources they need and don't need to forage? If they are lack a resource, they'll proactively increase the number of foraging ants and their foraging range to find it, right
~Dan

#2 Offline antmaniac - Posted October 13 2015 - 3:40 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Temperature definitely plays a big part, so is the weather. If it is going to rain or raining, even if the colony is indoor, they usually don't leave the nest. In addition, I find that they need a lot more workers tending the brood vs the forage workers. For young colony, it would be little to none activity outside until they reach a certain worker ratio or colony really desperate for resources. Also the age of the worker play a part in workers leaving the nest.

• Works4TheGood likes this

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 13 2015 - 6:10 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

As Antmaniac pointed out, low temperatures equals low brood development, lower resource requirements, and lower foraging activity.

I find this common in most small colonies if they have easy access to food.

Even my northern species forage less if the nest is at 70F (21C).  Doesn't stop them, but it does slow them a bit.  Older colonies always seem to have a handful of workers who are dedicated foragers, which makes the foraging area seem busier.

Honest, in a year or two you will wish that they would all go back into the nest so you can properly clean the foraging area.  :D

• dermy and Works4TheGood like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users