• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi from Midland Texas...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Baccus20 - Posted October 8 2015 - 1:57 PM

Baccus20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland Texas
Hi all...... New to a ants!! But have been into keeping exotic animals for a long time. Started keeping reptiles in the 80's...... Have always liked ants, but never thought about keeping any!!!! Now that I have a 10 year old son... (Yes I started my family late in life)... And his mother want let him have snakes as a pet!!!! We have a few tarantulas, Geckos and turtles... So... I thought how about an ant farm for a class project!!! Boy did stumble into it.... I didn't know how involved it would be!!!! Wow we have a lot of different ants!!!! Big ones,... Little ones.... Red ones... Black ones.... Red and black ones..... And, on top of that... We have to go and find a queen!!!!!! That is way cool!!!! Now we have to wait till spring... Which may be good, gives me time to find out what sp. will be the best to start with!!! And time to to figure out what type of setup to use!!!
That's enough for now!!!!
Thanks for y'all's time!!!! And in know I will have lots of questions in the future!!!

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted October 8 2015 - 2:25 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

Lots of reptile and aquarium knowledge transfers over to ant keeping, so you already have a head start.  :D

You might find this an interesting link, beginner's guide, pictures of other members nests, and much more: http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted October 8 2015 - 2:29 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

H'llo and Welcome to the forums. :)

• Baccus20 likes this

#4 Offline yen_saw - Posted October 8 2015 - 2:43 PM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Howdy! Good to see another hobbyist from Texas  :)  Midland has plenty of cool ants!

• Baccus20 likes this

#5 Offline AntsTexas - Posted October 8 2015 - 3:07 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

greetings from lubbock

• Baccus20 likes this

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#6 Offline William. T - Posted October 8 2015 - 6:18 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Welcome to Formiculture, from Maryland.

• Baccus20 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#7 Offline Baccus20 - Posted October 8 2015 - 9:29 PM

Baccus20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland Texas
Thanks for all the kind words!!!!
What is the best ant sp. for a beginner to keep first!!! I'm also looking for a good book to help me ID the local ant sp. I might run across...
Thanks, Darryl

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 6:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

There are a lot of species in Texas - https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true

Most species are pretty good for beginners.  The hardest part is getting a queen.  This lnk has a few ideas, some techniques work better in the desert, some work better in a forest - http://www.formicult...-mated-queens/ 

I highly suggest blacklighting and hiking.  Hiking is good for your health (unless you stumble across a cougar)  :D.  Blacklighting is an easy way to sit in your living watching tv and just wander outside on commercials to see if any queens came to find you.

If you have a pool, check it often as well.  Many queen ants will fly into water.

Keep an eye on the Mating Chart, as many people post when they see ants flying.  California flights may be similar to yours, and we have lots of people who go anting in the desert areas.  http://www.formicult...t-mating-chart/

• Baccus20 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#9 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted October 9 2015 - 9:19 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome!

• Baccus20 likes this

#10 Offline Baccus20 - Posted October 9 2015 - 2:57 PM

Baccus20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland Texas
Thanks for the info Crystals!!!! I have been looking at all that for a few weeks now!!! It looks like I will have to wait till spring, for my chance to catch any queens after their filights!!!!! I think I'm to late for this year?????? Unless someone knows the Texas ant history of queen flights and can lead me in the right direction!!!!!
I work outside and spend a lot of time off the beaten path.....and have fond several ant nest!!!! But trying to ID them is tough.. Can you lead me in the right direction... What is a good book on US ant identification????? And is there anyone in Texas that might sell a queen???? So I could get started while I wait for next year!!!
Thanks for your help, Darryl

#11 Offline William. T - Posted October 9 2015 - 3:24 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Thanks for all the kind words!!!!
What is the best ant sp. for a beginner to keep first!!! I'm also looking for a good book to help me ID the local ant sp. I might run across...
Thanks, Darryl

Tetramorium are very hardy, and have aggressive feeding responses and good growth rates. Might not be too common in Texas. A good old S. Invicta is very hardy, and very common.

• Baccus20 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 3:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

If possible try to get a black light up for a week or so at night, I have heard a few rumors of Crematogaster flights still going on.  I think some Solenopsis invicta are flying too (Fire ants).

Go for a few walks and look, now that you know what to look for. I just posted this - it may help you - http://www.formicult...queens/?p=28706

Either way, you have much more chance at catching a queen in Texas than I do in Alberta at this time of year.  :D

You may find another hobbyist in Texas, I know there are some on the forum.

I am not much good at IDing ants down south.  There are some ID guides on the Handy Links page near the bottom that can help get you started.

If nothing else, you could try your hand at making homemade nests while waiting, lots of tutorials on this site.

• Baccus20 likes this

My Colonies

#13 Offline Baccus20 - Posted October 9 2015 - 3:47 PM

Baccus20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland Texas
Thanks William!!!! I will keep that in mind.....

#14 Offline Baccus20 - Posted October 9 2015 - 5:50 PM

Baccus20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland Texas
Thanks Cyrstals.... I will give the black light a try....I have been on the look out. But haven't seen any yet.. But if I find anything I will post it and get some help with the ID..... As far as a nest.... I have been looking at all the info here and other places....I don't know which way togo....clear Or real dirt!!!!! I like the natural look!!!! But also like to see the ants!!! I know you have pros and cons either way!!!!!
Darryl

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 6:09 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I prefer the pre-molded tunnels with grout, firebrick, or ytong.  There is no chance of tunnel collapses.

I have tried acrylic nests, but never really liked any made with 100% acrylic.

I tried the sand tunnel route once (Horizontal sand nest), but I couldn't see all ants in the nest clearly and eventually sold the nest and colony.

Here is the link for potential building materials and their pros and cons - http://www.formicult...ium/#entry11018

Getting overwhelmed with information yet?  :D

(All of these links are in the List of Handy Links) 

• Baccus20 likes this

My Colonies

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 9 2015 - 9:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users